Author Topic: Yard Art...YES. Battery Charger....we'll see.  (Read 7512 times)

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
Yard Art...YES. Battery Charger....we'll see.
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
I have a wind project that I have been working on for several months now. The intention was to use this as a trickle charger along with some solar panels, to a battery bank for a shed and backup power source for a well tank booster pump. The well has a submersible pump, that I would power with genset to fill a tank,and use a pressure booster pump to the pressure tank / filters / house supply.

But those plans have been on hold. For almost two years now. Meanwhile, I didn't want to put up a HAWT...I can hear inspectors now with some wild fabricated complaint that I have a 100-ft tower knocking eagles and turkeys out of the air. This will happen and I want to be able to laugh the first time and point to the slow-turning sav. I wanted to build something I could test here and take there, and more akin to 'yard art'. And learn something along the way, for when I get there and planted and can put up a tower to get those good winds I know are up there.

The property is on a hill, with the NE and N sides dropping into a valley, and the S and W sides rolling into open flat land before it drops into a valley. If I stand at the high point of the hill, I can see the treeline tops that start at the edge of the valley. There is good winds at the ground level, it blows paths into the tall grass around buildings.

Well, I've built 'something', it definitely qualifies as yard art, but will it actually put out a battery charge? I'll share what I did, and take all the congrats and admiration...and / OR the flames and flying tomatoes.

I'll stay in 'safer' territory with the first post and cover the servos, the second will cover the tower, and the third will cover the sav. And none of this will represent cost-effective power generation. (that's what the solar panels are for).

I've already posted some in Steadfast's thread about servo motors and what I have on hand. I have done some experimenting on these to see what they can do as a generator. For a VAWT, with a geared shaft speed anticipated between 90-180 RPM (for 50-100 RPM VAWT), I need to get the output voltage high.

I sat up a bench test to measure some outputs under a load and to get a feel of shaft load while generating. Motors I tested and chart below.

These are two of the motors I tested, a new-style 450 and new-style 850.

The test setup. Not scientific; RPM estimated using stopwatch and clicker; the load resistors were 50W max so higher measurements may be current-limited. I did heat them up quite a bit.

That chart helped me find a motor for SF's application, he needed a motor that lightly loaded the prop and would cut in around 240RPM, any sooner and the 'light wind' turbine would be stalled except in a windstorm (per my thinking). But the figures didn't help me find the motor I needed.

I had destroyed one of the motors for bearings and flanges, and did some experimenting on finding the coil junctions. All of the new servos use some plastic-epoxy mold pored after the junctions are made. I tried to remove this, using heat, a chisel, stuff wouldn't cut, I found the junctions but also damaged a couple of coils.

The disassembled 450 is identical to the motor I sent SF. 9 coils / two offset rows of 8 mags each on the rotor. Front shaft sealed bearing 32mm (1.25") shaft diameter / 3" outer diameter. I used the front bearing flange for a tower shaft and the rear for a chain sprocket shaft. Not sure if I can use the rotor or magnets yet, right now just keeping it from sticking to anything.

I found the star junction (on the older 850 with exposed stator) on top of the rear of the stator. I first tried testing it with IRP (parallel coils) but it didn't lower the cut-in significantly. After I tore down the bench test and shipped SF the motors, I thought about trying series coil / star connection, so I rewired the motor, set up the test again, and did some spins. Didn't chart it, but the voltages were triple, and cut-in around 60RPM. The shaft loading didn't seem excessive but it was progressive with the speed. So I selected the motor to use for the VAWT.

I am not sure what the difference is between the older and newer 850. I haven't pulled a rotor from either, but the size of the motor is double the newer one for the same ratings. But just the exposed stator makes the older one more useable. That may be a good point to finding an older yasakuwa [sic - intentional] or even the other, especially japanese, manufacturers. FYI the newer styles are manufactured after 1996. Another note on finding servos - they are used in all kinds of CNC machines, and its easier to find one without a brake in a process machine than in a robot arm.

One end of each coil was originally wired to the Amphenol, and the star junction was on top of the stator. I added extension wires to the terminal strip and labeled each of the 9 coils. I did NOT find the exact position of each coil, but a DC voltage on any coil set will spin the rotor to a quadrant point for one of the three phases. I would need to remove the rotor to find each coil location, but a battery can find each coil group.

I added a terminal strip in the encoder enclosure, relocated the motor Amphenol to the encoder box, and sealed the original power receptacle mount. It will be easy to get to the connections again and change the arrangement.

A note for spottrouble - you have a Fanuc servo that you say is wired delta? If the coils are series...it may be EASY to find all the coils. Check the leads to the Amphenol, there may be six coil wires in a sleeve for each pin. If not, I bet the junctions are on top of the stator with an extension wire crimped to it. You may need to ohm them out and then do a battery test to make sure you identify the phases and polarity of each coil set if it is not obvious.

I still want to find an easier way to pick out each coil position, I can find the 'groups". If I decide to use a stacked-coil cutin on a motor (meaning using only one coil per phase, and adding other coils), then the location is more important to prevent uneven shaft loading.

Next post will cover the design of the tower that will be used with the sav, with center shaft sleeve that will allow swapping the 'props' out if I try something different on the same tower in the future.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
Re: Yard Art...YES. Battery Charger....we'll see.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
The tower:
I do not have a welder, only basic hand tools, the best power tool I have is a grinder. I used aluminum plinths for center sections, and a large thick steel plate with a 4" pipe conduit center for the base.

This drawing was used to make the tower, but I have changed a few things. The top section was 'inverted' so the center top shaft bearing could absorb any flex of the pole.

The poles are using 1/2" threaded rod, with 1.25" SS tube sleeved with 1" frame steel pipe and 3.4" EMT. Not just one pipe and threaded rod, the triple-pipe gives it some rigidity.

The bearings are front bearing flanges from scrapped servos. There are three bearings on top, two for the sprocket shaft, and one at the bottom for the generator shaft.

The 'top hat' is a bottom section of an air cleaner. There will be a circular 'slinger' above that to keep rain water out of the bearing shaft.

Sprockets are BMX aluminum 22T and 30T. I can swap them out and go as high as 40T on the larger. I wanted to start with a lower ratio and see what the sav will do before stepping it up (if I can).

I coulda (and shoulda) used something cheaper to keep the rain off the chain drive. Wanted to show out, maybe put lights in it someday. Automotive GOOP seals all the joints and rivets of the box. There is a step ridge on top so if water collects it won't drain back into the tower. A sleeve (or just Saran wrap) will cover the top and botton sections to keep all (most) of the water out. The back and two small pieces can be removed, and the box lifted from anchors and pulled off easily.

Anchoring it - I have two issues. Permanent is easy (except if I have to add a pivot to the top of my sav pole). Temporary (for testing) not so much. Thinking about long 4.4 feet with braces, and some guys to put it up in the back yard of my suburb home.

I already got stupid once and put it out with the sav and no feet, left for a few moments, and it had fallen. Lots of bent aluminum and a bent center shaft. It did get above 100RPM before I walked away from it. I took the opportunity to re-design the tower and sav. Was happy to see the tower took the fall...but aluminum panels and lexan do not hold up as well.

Next the sav rotor.

Watt

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
Looks nice, keep us up to date on your progress.  Let us know your power numbers when you get some.  Thanks.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
The sav and tower have been an ongoing project since last year. Below is a picture of the first version assembled in the garage.

Lots of cutting aluminum sheet and aluminum pipe. The first version had a 1" aluminum shaft with a sleeved EMT conduit. I have since upsized the shaft to 1.25" stainless with a 1" EMT conduit pipe sleeved in. The shaft is studded with 3/8" threaded rod to hold the 1/2" aluminum spars (split and clamped to the threaded studs) ; the ends of the spars use a shaft anchor to fasten the panel.

The below video is of the first version, no caps on the bottom of the wings, and the outer diameter was larger, and the gap (not counting shaft) is 2". Please - no hard time about the choice of area to use - this is NOT the intended home!

I pulled a stupid stunt - I brought it out the next weekend to test it again, without anchoring the tower, and it didn't even have feet. Then I went to store after seeing it spin up to about 120RPM. It was on the ground when I came back. Had it braced against a truck. Back to the garage with the thing.

I re-worked some of the tower, added the chain drive box, and when I re-did the sav I reduced the diameter from 30" to 26", and opened the gap from 2 1/2" to over 5 inches (with shaft, gap is now over 4"). Overlap is also about 2". I added caps to the tops and bottoms of each section, and added center pieces to close the center shaft area. The shaft has enough room for adding a set of panels above and below, if I see a use for it later.

The chain drive is spring-tensioned. I MAY have to add tension to prevent collapse; if I turn the motor shaft with sav stalled, the sav chain will loosen. This prevents using motor as brake. If I see a similiar problem with the motor loading causing the chain tensioners to pull in too much, I may have to lock the tensioners.

Below are pictures from today of the tower and sav fully assembled (the feet and 4x4 brace are just to get pics - NOT to leave up!). I used the bottom of a large auto air breather for the 'top hat' and there is the top of an Eldebrock breather   above it as a 'slinger' to keep water out of the top shaft bearings. The upper and lower exposed sides of the tower will eventually be enclosed in lexan sheet, but for now it's cheap Saran Wrap until I quit feeding the lawyers and get my property.

The sav and tower now sit on their side until next weekend. Then I will put some feet and guys on it so I can leave it up, hook it to a charge controller, and wait for wind to blow the right way (if it comes from the west I get nothing at the ground where I am).

spottrouble

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »
That's some pretty impressive yard art, I like it ;D, it looks rather futuristic 8). Get a servo hooked up and lets see what she'll do.

So if my motor is wired Delta I'm going to find 6 leads? I was thinking it would just be 2? I'm going to have to open that thing up and poke around a bit more. Looked at data tag last night, thought winding was indicated there, but it not. In testing I have 3 hot leads, no neutral, so I think thats Delta. Is separating coils easier on a Y connected motor? So if you split windings you can run Delta, Wye, IRP, and series, do we have a list to the benefits/drawbacks of each configuration? I'm used to Wye, Delta, Double Delta, and zig-zag connections, IRP and Series are ideas I'm trying to grasp, sounds like a great way to let the smoke out of a regular generator :D.

Been trying to find a spec sheet on my motor, no luck so far, do I have to call mfr?

Kristi

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:40:11 AM »
spot-  i think you may be confused.  every fanuc i've seen has been wired star.  if you can find the star point, and rectify coils from there, then go team!   

yes, if you find the star point you've got more options....

adam

gww

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:17:58 AM »
From your vidio it sounds fairly quiet.  I once did two 50 gal. plastic barrows and man they used to roar.  fisrt thing I ever did, no altinator.  I used to love to watch it and my wife used to hate it.  I,m going to keep watching.  good luck
gww

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »
This looks like fun . A good amount of thought went into this build  . I like to make small vawt projects but it's the 200 to 700 watt projects that are exciting . Quadruple this build either vertical or side by side into the prevailing wind you'll get some power and some bad weather reliability you don't have with other builds .

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »
spot-  i think you may be confused.  every fanuc i've seen has been wired star.  if you can find the star point, and rectify coils from there, then go team!   

yes, if you find the star point you've got more options....

adam

I didn't question the delta wiring, but now, that I think about it, delta is probably not used for servos that have encoders. I can see the extra noise of eddy currents making the encoder go wacko. Not that you couldn't use a servo motor as a gen in delta, but I don't see it as original-purpose use simply cause of electrical noise.

If that is the case, then spottrouble should find either one junction and multiple wires on each of the three pins of the connector, or single wires on the connector going to three junctions, and a fourth junction dead-ended (the star junction).

Tecker, yes my future plan includes making another of the towers, and putting them up like trophies in the middle of the property (that's a story I can tell only after we win one - more - appeal). I also have a fascination with kites, used to make my own, delta-wing boxes with dangly spinning drogues that looked like UFO. Caused an accident on a highway once, I assume because people were gawking (I was flying it in the middle of the big city). Of course when I heard the cars smash up, I started reeling in like a madman and ran and hid. 

I have drawn some plans for a delta-wing darrieus (4 offset wings more like hang-glider wings than kites), already have the ripstop nylon and aluminum shafts to make the wings. That one still has some thinking thru for a final plan - and of course waiting for the final court date so I can put this where it belongs - on a hill with no trees and a constant breeze. I will be building a test wing soon, to see if my idea works as I hope. I intend to make the front nose a 'scoop' to inflate the leading edge when it gets up to speed, forming the airfoil. Until it speeds up, it will act more as a drag turbine, and the outside will collapse concave on the upwind rotation, reducing the drag from a standard sav wing, until the speed comes up and the leading edge inflates.

Meanwhile, stuck in the suburbs, I will be bracing the sav this weekend and hoping for a south wind (the only wind that blows down to ground level at my current property). It passes the yard art test, but the real test is yet to come.

Steadfast

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
it is a thing of beauty... That's for sure...
a sneaky form of energy production too.

Hopefully it will trick your ignorant Nazi home owners association into thinking it is mere yard art...
well done!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:21:09 PM by JW »
By Hook or by Crook - Prayer, Persistence and Tenacity will win the day!

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
I missed the part about the HOA they  are punk drunk rf hazards  no doubt.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »
I wish it was an HOA I was dealing with...There is no problem with a wind mill on the property....it's farm property. I can use it for anything - except a residence (per the politicians). Too bad they didn't decide THAT until we bought it, got a building permit, and built there. A nice home, almost 2 years old, never slept a night there.

That's all I can say until it's over, but then....I got a hella story to tell. A story of political corruption, favoritism, and payoffs.
Saying any more than that crosses the line my attorney has made, and you don't want to make your attorney mad.

But when its done. I will make another sav and use it to turn a compost bin, and put it on the property line, just so the neighbors will get the literal inpression that I intend to stir the....well you know.

GoVertical

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »
Hi, super job. What is the VOC value at 100 RPM's ? Did you measure the stator resistance?
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

spottrouble

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »
spot-  i think you may be confused.  every fanuc i've seen has been wired star

adam

Yeah it would not be there first time, just sucks that it seems to be happening more often ???.  Been rebuilding a bunch of 3 phase pumps, I don't dare tell a customer anything without reading the data tag first, too many numbers to remember them all.

I'll pull that servo open again, see what I find :D

Kristi

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
Hi, super job. What is the VOC value at 100 RPM's ? Did you measure the stator resistance?

I only took voltage under load on the bench test I did. I did put stator resistance in the charts, except for the series coil arrangement. I think I measured 2.6 ohms with three coils in series each phase (but I didn't chart that test). The voltage under 10 ohm load was triple the value (around 18 VDC rectified at 120RPM) of the standard connection (parallel - star) for the USAFED-09DA1S in my chart (the third column of the 09DA1S test values).

I'm sure you recognize the wind composter (and where I ripped it off from)....thank Caleb for the great idea to taunt the neighbor.

GoVertical

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
Hi, I have been working on a power conversion circuit that may benefit your project. I tested  a prototype using my PMA using a hand crank to manually spin the PMA. I got the idea from Steve and I was able duplicate his results. It transfer more power to the load and allows the turbine to spin freely preventing stall. It may be a option if needed.  Steve is testing his board and it is close to completion. I look for forward to your test results.
SEMPER FEROX

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
I got the sav put up last weekend, in about the worst place possible, like I'm trying to block it from the wind or something. 'Course it is not home yet, still have that legal issue to finally smash down (story is still pending).

Meanwhile I went on a squirrel war with a pole saw and a long ladder and chopped a lot of limbs from the humongous tree behind the house, and created a wind funnel for the north wind, and it finally blew yesterday.

Gen is not connected yet, I dropped the chain getting impatient to see it turn with the south wind, and that didn't work. The next day the wind changed, and I got happy with the pole saw, and it started spinning and wouldn't stop. It has finally risen past the level of 'yard art' to 'kinetic yard art'. I am moving it and then connecting to monitor when I get the next wind.

Only when grasshopper makes a watt and puts it in a battery can I proclaim 'functional yard art'. But so far, the mechanics look good. 

The pole might be able to take an extension, or added upper and lower wings. I still have some acrylic boxing to replace the saran wrap for cosmetics but its essentially done there. And bracing and anchoring.

And that pesky legal thing I still havta smash down. ETA about late fall before the tower gets the ridgeline winds.

gww

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »
Updates are aways nice.  Exspecially when provided with pics and vids.
Thanks
gww

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »

A little more wind later yesterday, so another video.

I did connect the generator later yesterday, the servo I have mounted is an older servo, 850W but the size is double the newer 850W servos. The wind will push it if it gets up higher, but I thinks it has too much drag to work well. The shaft inertia of the newer servos is much less, even the newer 1300W servo is less drag than the older 850W.

Seems my wife listens to me too. She has went from the newbie questions last year (can we power the house) to yesterday looking at the sav spin, and saying 'but it doesn't have a load on it! - when you gonna hook up the batteries and make some power?". Maybe she reads these boards when I am not looking, 'cause she is insisting on power output! No complaint there - she is enjoying seeing it spinning in the yard instead of piled in the garage, and supports the project.

Friday night it got a good mechanical test - we had straight-line winds, leaves and branches flying, raining horizontal...that thing must have spun up way past 200RPM (I couldn't count rotations after it got moving so fast, it was a blur, looking like two stationary tall cylinders with dividers instead of 10 panels spinning). I was worried the wind and rotation was going to spin it into the trees. But...it held well, the shaft deflection was no more than a couple of inches off center with the most severe gusts. The tower with four guy poles anchored to the ground and the top held well. No movement of the tower at all.

Good thing too - I reconsidered the wisdom of having that car parked downwind of the turbine during the storm Friday night. When that sav spun to a blur I could see the car getting beat up by flying metal in my mind, and it was too stormy to get out and move it.

It was great to see it spin up so fast, but 200RPM (or greater - I gave up trying to clock it past that point, I could no longer keep up when it went into blur mode) is not the realistic performance (although good to know it won't fly apart or bend the shaft at that speed) - the observations I made yesterday in more 'normal' winds shows an average RPM of 50-100. A bit less than I had geared for, so I may have to swap some sprockets to increase my ratio at the motor shaft. The older 850 was rewired for a cut-in of 60 at the sav shaft, but the newer one may need more since I can't change the coil wiring from parallel to series like I did the older motor.

Wish I had gotten a video of that! But it was just too much rain and lightning, and flying limbs to go outside.

Probably a while before more updates - I will be swapping out the older 850 for the newer 850 (maybe today); plug in the rectifier; measure voltage output - may have to change the gearing to increase the motor shaft RPM; considering adding four full-length C-rotor blades to outside diameter for extra startup torque to drive the older 850 that has the rewired stator...but still a ways off from getting power outputs.

And all that has to be worked in with the chore list, and the legal fight...and if the county does not insist on appealing to the state supreme court after we smash them a third time, MOVING DAY!

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
 :)  :D  ;D

I didn't swap out the servos. As I was mowing the front yard today, noted the wind was blowing and looked around back, and that sav was spinning that large 850 just fine. So I stopped, got my motor cable, rectifier, and meter to see some voltage.

Open circuit voltage 60RPM @ the sav shaft (over 100RPM at the servo) = 15VDC woohoo! My calculations were correct. While I was measuring the [sav] speed picked up to around 120RPM, the highest OCV I measured in my short test was 42VDC.

Since I expect MUCH better wind conditions at the farm property, I'm not changing the motor now. If it will push it here with the gusty winds, with all the obstacles and buildings, I feel confident it will push it when it gets to the hill on top of the ridgeline in open space.

I will try to get video of the sav spinning and OCV measurement for the record sometime this week. I'm done for today. But I got the 'pudding face' seeing my monstrosity actually make volts (yeah yeah, I need WATTS, but voltage output is a good start). From my previous bench test, I should get 50W before any shaft loading occurs, and maybe 100W before heavy loading occurs.

I am still considering the C-rotors on the outside diameter, but that will wait until I get it tied to a load and see how much it affects the spin. If it can push a load, then it will stay as is and I can move on to the next turbine (something similiar to this link https://sites.google.com/site/veneciam1windturbine/home . Have lots of ripstop nylon and some kite-building experience, so I wanna try this out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:44:36 PM by lakesidepark »

GoVertical

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
:)  :D  ;D

I am still considering the C-rotors on the outside diameter, but that will wait until I get it tied to a load and see how much it affects the spin. If it can push a load, then it will stay as is and I can move on to the next turbine (something similiar to this link https://sites.google.com/site/veneciam1windturbine/home . Have lots of ripstop nylon and some kite-building experience, so I wanna try this out.

Hi, I like his VAWT. He is on the beach with a lot of wind. I tested a similar configuration with 3 blades, I had better results 6 six blades. I live in a area with low wind.  I do not understand why only 3 blades. It seems it would work better with 5 or 6 blades.
SEMPER FEROX

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
If I stick to my shaft approach, I will use four blades, as I am locking both sides of the threaded stub thru the shaft with the blade supports similiar to the way I did the sav wings. That way one heavier stub supports two wings - if I go three wings each shaft will have its own stub and double the shaft weight, and a bit harder to lock the side of the stub not used.

Will probably try it with two wings first as a test then add the second two wings.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »
no more urban turbine...I will get a video up tomorrow, and there are cows in the background. Finally, I have the tower and the sav wings in the field. What a difference a little open space does for it. Since I put it up yesterday, it hasn't stopped spinning, and today with 30mph gusting to 40 it sometimes spun into a blur. For the last several hours it has not gone below 90RPM ( I know, I stare at it and smile). At this very moment... somewhere between 120 and 180RPM.

There were some compromises in placing it, I wanted to keep it somewhat close to point of usage, so the solar panel rack and the wind turbine can run to one point, and I can add a matching tower to the opposite side of the panels. SO I spent the last few months walking around and checking wind out and the sun pattern and obstructions (sun and wind).  I gave up due south wind for the funnel effect the terrain and the mobile home will make for SW thru NW winds, and direct N thru E winds. The NW wind is blowing,and unlike the suburb house, if you hear or feel the wind blow it moves!!! There is some oscillation at the top of the pole due to a loose bearing fit at the bottom of the shaft and this will be addressed ASAP (I can't remove it now its under significant force). But I am pleased that when the RPM picks up the oscillation will stabilize like a gyroscopic effect (got the balance good and no pulsations).

Unless things happen (see pub thread), next weekend it will go under load to a Xantrex C35 charge controller and two 6V deep cycle series for 12V, and will go to inverter for TV / computer and living room lights. Time to think about dump loads, plan the future expansion (at least 2 more batteries and 2 more solar cells) and a way to measure the output of the turbine, and decide which of the three servos (the 450, the new-style 850 or the older jerry-rigged 850, or maybe even the 1300).

Did Steadfast figure out that doc wattson? Is that a good choice to monitor the output?

And about dump loads for VAWTS - do I need one if the sav will free-spin without self-destructing? I don't think it can ever spin fast enough to approach the limits of the servo or the voltage limits of the rectifier, but what happens with the open circuit after the rectifier? I'n thinking nothing if the components are way over-rated (as in this case) but am I missing something here?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:37:38 PM by lakesidepark »