Author Topic: Mini cfl inverter  (Read 1717 times)

www.am27

Mini cfl inverter
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:25:40 AM »
Hello friends,

Some days ago i bought a mini cfl inverter 50w to light up my house with cfl's  during power cuts and it is working perfectly  till now but suddenly today i thoght to messure the ouput ac volts and when i did it i surprised with the high voltage output and it is not like a.c. I mean... OK LET ME EXPLAIN IT CLEARLY ..

At first i tested it with mains on and i got 229v ac which is ok. But when i switched off the mains its goes to ups mode, now with ups mode on, at first i got no reading then i changed the multimeters probes(black and red) into the socket holes and surprised that i got 564v rating :shocked: then i again change the probes and again got no reading... Whats happening? If it is a.c. Output and i set the multimeters range to a.c. 750v, then why after changing the probes i got no reading i mean in a.c. And with mains on i got the right reading no matter with the probes but with ups on i have to change the probes like d.c. Curent but in dc we get a '-' minus sign when connected reverse,but in a.c. There is no such things we can messure voltage in any order(i did this many times before with my computer ups and everytime i got right reading).
NOW, can anyone tell me what is happening? And that high voltage drops to 464v when i lit up a 8w cfl on the other socket(there is 3 sockets and a cfl/bulb holder).. Please reply.

OperaHouse

Re: Mini cfl inverter
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:18:21 AM »
What exactly is a mini  CFL inverter?  Is it a standard 50W AC inverter or is a HF inverter designed specifically for CFL use?

Your results don't surprise me if you have a cheap meter.  Try this... measure a DC voltage when meter is switched to AC.  Then reverse the probes.   Your meter doesn't have TRUE RMS circuitry and the result is from a cheapy conversion circuit.   I run CFL off broken inverters I get for next to nothing.  The output section which is often shorted is removed and the CFL lamps are run on pure 140V DC or in your case likely double that.  Enjoy your lights and dont worry about it.

www.am27

Re: Mini cfl inverter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »
Ok Friend May be you are right that it is a chep meter that's why this is happening... BTW  i am Enjoying Now....

And I think There No need of this Thread now so i request to Mods Please Delete/trash this topic.

Thank You.