Author Topic: Coleman Air Charge Controller Question  (Read 7231 times)

Windmill1

Coleman Air Charge Controller Question
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »
I have the charge controller kit with no encloseure,Coleman Air with 1 Relay rated at 40 amps, Manuel said to add another 40 amp relay and its good for 80 amps. Will 2 relays work well with the 24 volt 10Ft otherpower turbine. This controller seems to work really well so far. Also are the Coleman controllers durable and do they work well, anyone have anyone have any input on this.

Watt

Re: Coleman Air Charge Controller Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
I have the charge controller kit with no encloseure,Coleman Air with 1 Relay rated at 40 amps, Manuel said to add another 40 amp relay and its good for 80 amps. Will 2 relays work well with the 24 volt 10Ft otherpower turbine. This controller seems to work really well so far. Also are the Coleman controllers durable and do they work well, anyone have anyone have any input on this.

You aught to contact those guys for any technical questions.

Windmill1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
Thanks Watt
Have a good evening

Watt

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
Thanks Watt
Have a good evening

Now that that's out of the way.

What is the specific one you have?  By the way, those relays are good till you need them.  They are automotive duty and when they fail, you pull over and get another.  In a wind applications, specifically a storm, you can't press pause till you can replace your relay.  That turbine is going to spin outta control.  Good luck with it.  Better plan on a back up system.

Windmill1

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »
 I will be offline a few days, I have family  that are sick, get back with you when I can.
Thanks

Windmill1

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »
Thanks Watt
I have decided to go with a 48 volt system, so this controller would not work anyway.

synovialbasher

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 06:52:33 AM »
I have used this controller before, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's crap. It has no sense of 3 stage charging, more or less PWM. The design is really not that great, and it's not reliable. I had one managing a small bunch of 20w panels and this thing just clicked on, then off, then on, then off, constantly. Who knows how long the relay will last. Plus, since batteries have a surface charge phenomanon (when the battery voltage is high, yet the actual charge level of the battery is lower. So the voltage usually would rise under charge, trip the controller, and then dump power when the battery's not fully charge. Then it began malfunctioning and saying my battery was fully charged at guess what? 12.0 volts. Really? I asked the company, Coleman air, which isn't affiliated with Coleman, the common camping company, and they wanted $30 to take a look at it. I would just get rid of it.

Windmill1

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
Thanks synovialbasher
I never got to use the controller very much, going to get me a new Xantrex 40 amp for my otherpower 10ft turbine,they seem to be highly recommended.

gww

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:49 AM »
windmill 1
There is a morningstar ts 60 listed in the classified section of this forum.  It will do 48 volts.
gww

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »
I have used this controller before, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's crap...
Then it began malfunctioning and saying my battery was fully charged at guess what? 12.0 volts.

Similar story.
Recently a guy in north east Europe with a big sail boat, having a BIG expensive SLA bank, and one of those coleman things, emailed me.
Contacts or electronics failed, contacts stuck/stayed closed, ruined the BIG expensive SLAs.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 02:37:27 AM »
I have heard nothing but bad about them, useles as tits on a bull!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

dgd

• Never do today what can be done tomorrow
    • Lory Link
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
Thanks synovialbasher
I never got to use the controller very much, going to get me a new Xantrex 40 amp for my otherpower 10ft turbine,they seem to be highly recommended.

The Coleman Air controller is a simple  'diversion regulator' type device and does work. At least the electonics do  :) BUT the relays supplied with it are auto types that soon die. If these switch dump load resistors between battery + and - then a bung relay = dead battery
I used just the controller board (they sell under $60) to control a Crydom 3phase SSR that shorts the turbines AC outputs via dump resistors. There is never a dump load placed on the DC side so no risk to battery if controller fails.
dgd
Off grid since 4/2000
Midnite C150,C250,Clipper, 2.8Kw PV, 2Kw turbine,1025Ah24v FLA (1999), SW3024E (1997), 3q16 48v300Ah LiFeYPO4 6Kw OzInverter, Arduino DUE web monitor.

zvizdic

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »
If you're any good at soldering I recommend GHurd 48v dump load controller.
I had it running for 2 years and no problems so far.
My setup is GHurd controller modified for 48v running 4 IRFP150P paralleled with 56R on gate.
Dump load of 2.5 ohms

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »
The Coleman Air controller is a simple  'diversion regulator' type device and does work.

Yes, it's not a charge controller.  It's a diversion controller.  And it does work fine.

Our Trace/Xantrex GSM (Generator Start Module) will handle three-wire start generators.  But I needed an extra controller to switch the auto-throttle on and off so the generator will run at rated speed while the inverter syncs with it, but will idle down for it's cool-down period before the inverter shuts it off.  I used a Coleman Air diversion controller board for that and tied it into the GSM.  It works positively beautiful.

The Coleman Air board monitors the genset starting battery voltage.  When the generator starts the voltage is below 13.5.  But after it runs for awhile it charges the battery up and the voltage gets up to 14.0.  When it goes above 13.5 volts it activates the auto-throttle on the genset so when the inverter disconnects the load the genset idles down.

--
Chris