Author Topic: Windturbine with car alternator  (Read 7653 times)

guruji

Windturbine with car alternator
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »
Hi this was my past project that I've build. A wind turbine with a modified car alternator. I rewinded the alternator for lower cuttin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGqItvf5X3k
Thanks

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Windturbine with car alternator
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »
You could make it a lot quieter by just tapering the width of the blade so it's like 1.5 inches wide at the tip, leave the leading edge straight. Then leave the up wind side flat and carve the trailing edge face to a sharp edge at the trailing edge.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

guruji

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
Ok thanks fabricator. Yes but when wind gets strong it really freaks people around. Even me I become scared that it would not fall on my roof.
Thanks

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
nice little mill..what size of wire did you use?  how many amps-watts have you seen out of it ?--sorry your vid had really low volume output...
  heres a couple of shots on one of my truck alt conversions--i double up on the stators and use the front of two alts to make one---plus i use the wire from the field coils to wire the stator..not sure on what config. ile use to wire up this one...
well good luck on yours--any chance of a future vid of it flying?
WILD in ALASKA

guruji

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
Hi Hiker on mine about 200w output. I had saw a youtube vid that converts alternators with less work force. This guy just take out the middle part and put two speaker magnets instead. I think this would be better cause you don't have to worry about cuttin.
Thanks

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
The fan looks like a good pulley. Does the belt track ok at high speed ?
Must be that time of year I too have a doubled up stator and the wire is some 20 I pulled from a 32" Degaussing coil. 
 Good Hiker ware on the end caps the roller bearings are probably on their last hrs
One of the things I found on this rotor coil is the varnish comes off . I read about this product POR 15 here so I got some from a Auto parts place to try to paint some with spotie varnish . The stuff looks flexible and wets good on metal when it's supper clean.  I'll post back on that after some Hipot tests. (Not Me the coils) 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:48:12 AM by tecker »

guruji

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »
Hi Tecker I used the cover of the fan for the pulley and just sanded a little for the pulley to stay on. Use toothed belt.
If you're planning to rewind use half thickness coil so that cuttin falls to half. Disadvantage is that you loose amperage by half :(
Anyway regards about your project.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:51:40 AM »
Adapted ceiling  fans . The end caps are needing some jacking screws . The rotor I'm hammering out of Flatbar . I have some different circuitry for this unit and is wound for three phase . The inner is the second phase . It's compact . Not completely weather proof yet.

guruji

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
Adapted ceiling  fans . The end caps are needing some jacking screws . The rotor I'm hammering out of Flatbar . I have some different circuitry for this unit and is wound for three phase . The inner is the second phase . It's compact . Not completely weather proof yet.

So you're not using a car alternator? yes? You're using the fan as it is. Am I understanding rightly? I think the fan coil is too thin. It cannot produce amount of amperage or maybe you can higher alot voltage than.
Ok regards.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
 28 volts at 20 amps  amps is the target I should be good there . over all turns per phase is 8 coils in phase 1 and 3  25 turns bifillar and 25  turns on phase 2 trifillar 16 coils counter wound 

guruji

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 03:41:42 AM »
28 volts at 20 amps  amps is the target I should be good there . over all turns per phase is 8 coils in phase 1 and 3  25 turns bifillar and 25  turns on phase 2 trifillar 16 coils counter wound

500watts is good genny. Can you post photos of this winding?
Thanks