Author Topic: Ground mount solar panels-what is the best hardware mount?  (Read 24058 times)

WindTurbineGuy

Ground mount solar panels-what is the best hardware mount?
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
Hi Guys!
There is a lot of information on the web about panels and specs, but not so much for home built metal ground mounting systems. Basically what I am trying to find out is what is the most cost effective DIY approach to getting 20 panels mounted to the ground with the ability to one axis tilt. My region can get windy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!  :)

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Re: Ground mount solar panels-what is the best hardware mount?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
I have used the old big satellite dish mounts.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

hydrosun

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
I've used a lot of unistrut steel from Lowes hardware to mount stationary panels. i no longer move the panels since the cost of panels have come down so much. the little bit of extra power per panel is offset by the extra cost of a much stronger structure need to be able to move the panels. but you could use the unistrut to build whatever you want. It is galvanized and using the square nuts and 1/4 inch stainless bolts makes a stong panel. It comes in 10 foot lengths  for under $20.  I've mounted 16 200 watt panels with 20 sticks including the uprights cemented into the ground.
Chris

WindTurbineGuy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »
I've used a lot of unistrut steel from Lowes hardware to mount stationary panels. i no longer move the panels since the cost of panels have come down so much. the little bit of extra power per panel is offset by the extra cost of a much stronger structure need to be able to move the panels. but you could use the unistrut to build whatever you want. It is galvanized and using the square nuts and 1/4 inch stainless bolts makes a stong panel. It comes in 10 foot lengths  for under $20.  I've mounted 16 200 watt panels with 20 sticks including the uprights cemented into the ground.
Chris
Hey Chris!
Thanks for the info. I saw this stuff at Lowes, but was not sure if it would work. Can you share some picts of your set up? Thanks!

SolarFlare

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
Chris

Are you referring to the spring loaded square nuts?

phil b

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »
This guy is  using superstrut material from Lowes/Homedepot for a ground mount system.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-power/2070-4kw-grid-tied-battery-backup-system.html

I've used the same strut material for mounting solar laminates. So far, the struts are working well.
http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,198.30.html
A few pictures of the superstrut are on page 3, I think.
Phil

hydrosun

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
i use the square nuts from lowes that have a small plastic ring to hold them in place. i build the suport structure with the rails at the correct width. Then I put four  bolts and square nuts on  the solar panel. then I can lay the panel down with the nuts in the slots  and then turn the nuts to hold it in place. then tighten the bolts snug.
Chris

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:38:58 AM »
I used unistrut on top of some beefy wood framing to survive 90mph winds(I hope!). Had 75 already and it did well.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »
Does a person need to put a support in the center of solar panels to stop any flexing? I plan on putting some sort of padded channel iron (unistrut) around the whole panel. They will be hinged on the botton and 3/4 of the way up there will be 2 adjustable legs so they can be adjusted easily.
The bottoms will be 3 in over the side of the wood sheds roof. My panels will be 240 w, 24 v. I like self tightening nuts.
MntMnROY 13

phil b

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
I've had no problem with the panels flexing as the parameter of the panels are secure. It would take a high wind to cause problems, IMHO. My panels are 40 inches wide X 65" long, including the superstrut frames and only have 4 inches slope on the 40" side. We have 100 mph winds every 3 or 4 years.

I intend construct a sloping back on my frames to form an inverted "V"  if I have to have more power  from them later. I think if I do have wind problems, it will tend to peel my laminates off the superstrut from the wind pushing against the parameter from the back side.

If you want them to tilt with the seasons, you could construct the sloping wall part of the "V" and put hinges on the lower frame member of the panel side. I hope this is a bit clearer than mud.

Check out Oztules construction methods also.
Phil

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
I plan on putting the bottom of my panels over the edge of the roof and they will be on a hinged bracket and then 3/4 of the way up to the top there will be a 2 adjustable legs support for each panel. These will be mounted on top of my wood shed. I will be able to adj them twice a year. My biggest problem is I only get 1 1/2 hr of sun in the winter. The mountians and trees block the rest of the sunlight. I will be moving up there this Jan. 1st. I have not been able to be up there during the winter months so I will have to evaluate where the other panels will be put. 3 this year 5 next year. I may have to have a split solar panel setup. ??? Just an odd place for solar but that is where the house sits.  Roughly 3-4 ft of snow per year.
MntMnROY 13

snowmass

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:23:35 AM »
This is my home made tilt, rotate array. You could just use the tilt by making something like a swing set . Insert the top pipe through a slightly larger pipe and work all bracing from that pipe. Insert grease zerks, fill with grease and concret legs into ground. Plenty of ways to make stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bU1FcY_hGQ&feature=relmfu

SolarFlare

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
This a awesome! Do you have any more pictures?

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi,
Here are a couple candidates.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/pv.htm#Mounts

The first one is from my system, and is doing fine after 3 seasons -- with some heavy duty wind storms.

The 2nd one is Doug's 4.6 KW array with the mounts he welded up -- nice and simple.

Gary

edit: I'd just add that if I were doing it again, I think there are now some cheaper rails to use than the Iron Ridge ones I used.  Having the slotted rails does make hanging the panels very fast and easy.

David Hufft

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
SNOWMASS,

That is a sweet home build! I like it.
Make the right choices now, enjoy them later.

adobejoe

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »
Here you go! These are the strongest per dollar spent anywhere. Made from standard metal fence post, readily available anywhere, and they rotate on the diagonal.

And here in WYOMING we get plenty of wind and for over two years NO PROBLEMS!

AdobeJoe

snowmass

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »
Flare, Here is the software, Three deer feeder timers. The center is rotation. The bottom is tilt up. Top is tilt down. Photocell turns back east at dusk.

Nanagility

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »
Hello - I would like to get more information on Adobe Joe's set up in Wyoming.  I will be needing to set up several panels in New Mexico this summer and maybe his idea works better for me.   Challenge - we will be returning to East Texas for the rest of the year and want to bring the system back to use here.   Just stumbled across the post, so new here.  Much to read I can see.   :)