Author Topic: 2KW motorised mounts build  (Read 1942 times)

satmanuk

2KW motorised mounts build
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
Hi all.

I have recently built 2 new heavy duty mounts for a 2KW tracking grid tie setup, so thought i would post about the build. The wind can get bad here, hence the heavy duty.

I designed the mounts to be driven by two independent linear actuators, one for East-West auto tracking, and one for seasonal adjustment (or future dual axis upgrade)

the tracker i used is from here http://stores.ebay.com/Richardsfoundry, shipping to the UK only took a few days. there is one tracker per mount, and so far they are tracking together with only minimal tweaking.

the mount is made up of steel pipe for the head unit, box section for the moving parts and flat bar for the various lugs and guides (all minimum of 6mm some 8mm steel), the supports under the panels are 50x50 angle.

The panels measure 1M x 1.5M each, 4 panels per mount, so there is an overall panel footprint of 2m x 3m per mount.

I purchased the proper alu channel to mount directly under the panels, this makes fitting the panels much easier, although it was still hard work, they are well worth the expense.

Here is a rough design i sketched (nothing precision here)

the design has 2 main sections, the Head unit (post cap & pitch assembly 50x70x6mm box section) and the panel mount (50x50x6mm box section).

The panel mount carries the alu channels and transfered the load of the panels to 4x 8mm steel lugs for East-West movement.

The head unit is made from a 30cm length of steel pipe, 8mm thick and approx 14cm diameter.
flat bar plate (8mm) was then welded as a cap on one end.

Two upright steel plates carry the pitch box section, the centre point is offset from the centre of the post, this is mainly to allow the mount to go into the vertical position, for mounting the panels and maintenance.

there are a mixture of in progress pics and greased after pics...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:07:04 PM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

Re: 2KW motorised mounts build
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
the centre posts are some 13-14ft high 6mm wall alu posts i had kicking around(i think they might have come from a building site years ago), with 3 angle iron legs for extra stability.

the foundation is approx 3 foot deep & square, i made the top cap triangular because it looked neater & different.

Here is a shot from the underside when completely assembled

from a distance

close up of the head unit & liner actuators

underside showing linear actuator points

Testing the drive independently
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:06:26 PM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
Conslusion:

lots of hard work, but well worth it.

total steel costs came in at about £100, trackers $45, time = priceless ;-) each mount took me about 4 days of work, including painting + one whole day of 2 people to get them up. (lots of swearing with panels that heavy)

the Alu channel under the panels is a must, i tried making my own first our of 30x30 light box section but it was nearly impossible to allign across 4 panels over head height. the Alu stuff is £4 a meter here, but worth it since its completely flexible & you can adjust the panels until everything fits.

as you can see from some of the pics, there are also 8 of the panels fixed onto my workshop roof.  on an averag day the motorised 2KW produces double the power compared to the fixed 2kw. i think this is mainly because i have a clear line to the sun from 8am to 8pm with the trackers.

will update more pics tomorrow, dark now...

mathelm

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »
Nice job.  Could you post some details on your Linear Actuators?

Thanks....