Author Topic: recharging 24 volt battery bank  (Read 2976 times)

sammyadams

recharging 24 volt battery bank
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »
I'm new to an off-grid cabin.  It has had a 12 volt battery bank made up of 3 12-v marine batteries in parallel which I am converting to a 24 volt system by adding 3 batteries in series to each of the existing batteries (the existing batteries are less than 1 yr old).
I'm in the process of getting a hydro system going

In the meantime, I will be using a honda 2000w generator to recharge the battery bank
the prior owner had a 12 volt charger hooked to the opposite ends of the bank
I was looking at the samlex SEC2415 24 volt charger.
In order to hook this up correctly, should I just use a positive and negative terminal on opposite ends of the bank?  Or (because this charger has room for 3 cables) should I hook up a cable to a positive in each of the 24 volt (2 12 volt) pairs?
Appreciate any input before I purchase the charger -

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: recharging 24 volt battery bank
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »
I wouldn't mix different ages of batteries in series: that's a recipe for ruining some or all of them I suspect.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

sammyadams

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »
I have read that but also read that if the batteries are relatively new that it should not pose much of a problem.

these are 8 months old and have been cycled probably around a dozen times.  Does anyone else have an opinion?

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
don't mix them if you can help it at all

the reason being when they are paired in series to make 24volts one will likely be under the other battery in both charge and capacity, which makes getting the  two balanced sometimes a real pain.

if you do pair them new and used, be sure and fully recharge the older batteries and do an equalization of them before interconnecting them with the new batteries, probably a good idea to do the same with the new ones too, that way they are all about as good of shape and as close to charge and capacity as you can get them to start out.

a couple years back i had a matched bank of 6volt batteries, all the same age, 4 series'd together to make 24 and the other two series's to make a 12volt bank... long story short while doing an experiment and tapping off midstring i drained 2 of the 4 in the 24volt bank, resulting in an imbalance
it took me a week of charging, equalizing, cycling , rinse/wash/repeat
till i was blue in the face to get them back in line with one another.

without having done so, i found that the better pair would reach full charge and then climb up which caused the overall voltage to hit regulation limit before the pair of batteries that had been worked down were not even close to half charged.  over time the result would be damage due to overcharge of the better pair and damage due to undercharge on the other pair that had been overworked in the testing.

moral of the story? don't mix new and old, or rather batteries of differing charge and capacity (actual, not advertized) unless you really go to all the effort to get them balanced and keep a really good eye on them.  which i am sure you were planning to do with your charging regime, your hydrometer, your logbook and periodic equalization... right?
bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

sammyadams

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
Do you think it would better to mix an old with old, a new with new and just one pair would be old-new?

I figure I don't have much of an option - other than buying all new batteries -  and as these particular batteries are "only" $100 a piece new, if this turns out to be a bad move, I'm only out $300

any comments on the actual charger/charging process?