Author Topic: Walking cow powered generator  (Read 2726 times)

definitionofis

Walking cow powered generator
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
A pressure plate is pressed down to pump air by cows walking on it as they travel into the barn.

The video only shows the use of the air pressure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8HKbjIIRRc

I imagine a cow elevator powering a cow-wheel (like a water wheel) would be more powerful and make the cows hungry walking back up the hill out of the basement.

It is not over unity. Save me from a pubbing?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Walking cow powered generator
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »
It is in effect stealing energy from the cows' food which could be an expensive energy source or it could be OK.  It might be much better to burn some of the hay/silage/whatever in a biomass generator.

Would be much less good from a carbon/cost/etc pov for animals with meat in their diet such as humans.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:00:31 AM »
Basicly all this guy has done is to take 2000 year old technology and used it to  lift a weigh in water.
 think of a bellows like once was used to blow air into a forge. the bellows would be on the ground or level with a surface a car , a person a cow or what ever crosses the top plate of the bellows forcing it down this pushes air out. If he is going to have any efficiency at all the air would have to be forced into a storage tank.
 Now his generator is going to require some sort of clockwork and a large flywheel plus a hollow weight that would hold enough air to become buoyant in water now he needs a couple of valves one at the top to let the air out one at the bottom to let the air in on the clockwork it would need to have a ratcheting wheel and a pawl to catch the flywheel as the weight descends it would spin the flywheel as the air forced it back up a small counter weight would pull down on the chain, the pawl would go click click past the flywheel until the air would be exhausted from the weight starting the cycle all over again.
 Nothing much rocket science here.
 In fact these pressure plates could be placed at high traffic areas like the entrance to the Holland tunnel
 a 100,000 tires crossing them every day could provide enough air to power a clockwork powered generator to provide the lighting for the tunnel .
 WA-la Free but very high maintenance electrical energy
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:28:44 AM »
Again, stealing energy from the kinetic energy of cars requiring them to burn more fuel (unless they needed to slow down exactly there anyway) is anything other than free, given the inefficiency of conversion of fuel -> motion -> electricity this way.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Frank S

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:18:50 AM »
in this bloody country they could install a bellows plate in their flipping speed bumps at least then there would be a justifiable reason to have the speed bumps
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
Having read all of this and watched the video.
There is a person who posted on here in the U.K. "Stop4Stuff" who built a clockworks item too, except he used a pull-chain, it's in the older files around here somewhere.

My thoughts are that he's not really claiming over unity, even though the website has that in it.
The idea of using cows is not really a bad idea. Back home, we typically make the cows move throughout the field to thin out any unnecessary fat.
So getting the cows to move the gears would help them burn up some of the fat, allowing them to have leaner meat, which is tastier and healthier for us omnivores :)
In Fact I can think of more than one couch potato who should be on one of these devices  ::).
IF people would STOP using free energy label it would be more acceptable to those who know Thermodynamics .
Cheers;
Bruce 
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Frank S

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »
Bruce you are correct the term free energy has become a catch phrase. people use to build curiosity. Then they carry things a step further and make outlandishly false claims or their write ups and now a days videos do not explain the facts if there are any to back up their claims.

In the video in question you could see the gears and the pawl of a clock work however briefly what could not be seen was the device that would be stepped on to force the air into the chamber to create buoyancy that could have been anything from a hinged plate connected to like I said a bellows or a series of chambers in rubber mat that the cows stepped on their feet would push down and force the air out.
 Someone talked about stealing kinetic energy, I don't see it that way. Th cow has to walk anyway and if their feet happen to push down an inch as they walked over a bag so what it would be no different than it would have been if they had stepped on soft hay they would expend the same amount of energy.
 Calling it free energy? Well in one respect it would be, but more to the point it should have been called recovered wasted energy.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Frank S
I like the recovered "waste" part.
Now the cows can lean up and give "waste" for even further recovery  8).
Law of thermodynamics at work? energy is never lost merely converted from one form to another.
They could have healthier lean beef, stored energy and a waste product that can also be converted to "stored" energy(methane).
I wonder if this ole'boy even thought that far ahead? BUT I don't it.
I would wager he's hiding the other part so he can git a patent  :P.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Frank S

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Bruce; I know this is a hijack but since this is a pub topic anyway it probably doesn't matter all that much
 there is a fine balance between too fat and too lean. All of US beef that is feed lot raised is too fat and should be sold only in the US, to places like the FAT food industry or sold to china. it should be labeled as USDA grade F not fit for human consumption. US beef that is graze & feed is much better quality but because of too many things to list here it is way too expensive for most folks to buy.
 Beef from Argentina is about the highest quality you can find anywhere in the world. Next would be New Zeeland followed by Northern Europe. those places you get beef that has as near perfect marbling of fat to lean ratio as possible. However it should be noted that beef from those places is graze & fed in a roughly 70/30 ratio. at a minimum of 60/40
 Here in Kuwait they have only feed lot beef but the Hot dry climate prevents the storage of fat making the beef extremely lean almost too lean in fact. I normally buy NZ beef because it is the cheapest price but on occasion I buy KW beef usually I will buy a KW spring slaughtered 1/4 but then even if all of the fat is cut and ground in with what I have made into hamburger the max fat ratio I can get is about 90% lean and that is still too lean to make the perfect burgers because there is near zero marbling