Author Topic: Im gonna try here as i got one storage ?  (Read 3825 times)

zingarofunkart

Im gonna try here as i got one storage ?
« on: August 26, 2012, 03:13:24 AM »
I posted in the newbee section and no results so ill try here...ive searched and not found so here i B:
In the process if modifying a van for RV.
I want to use 2 12 v deep cycle bat in the system (lead acid) stored in the rear of the van.

? #1.... will i need a vent

If i use the van alternator for charging, have an isolation switch to not use the batteries for starting...

?#2.... can i use like # 10 wired to charge the bank and can i use a home lite switch for the isolation sw.

Im using 2 inverters, now one 300 w for small stuff ( laptop, razor) and a 2000w for coffee and microwave.

?#3 with these two inverters side by side will they draw the same amount of current with respect to output ? ie  will i use the same amount of current (battery ) to charge my razor with the 300 vs the 2000, excluding minor differences in efficiencies.
(BOTTOM LINE) if it takes no more current to run the small stuff the i would got to just one  large inverter.

Very interesting site........z

gww

Re: Im gonna try here as i got one storage ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »
Did you get any kind of manual or system paper when you got the inverters. If so it may give you the answer.  I don't know the answer and this site might help you just from exsperiance if you give them the names of the inverters.  My guess is the small one is very inefficiant with what comes out compared to what you put in.  I have a cheap 750 watt one and I am convinced that it won't carry half that load as when I have a radio pluged in and plug a 100 watt bulb the radio goes to half volume.  Your 2000 watt one will use more juice if you leave it on.  I don't really know.
goodluck
gww

definitionofis

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
I won't answer #1 because I don't know anything about standards for small RV batteries. But I'll give an idea about it in #2.

#2  You can use a diode instead of an isolation switch. It prevents flow backwards into your starting motor.
You definitely need a charge controller. It will automatically charge your battery and disconnect when the battery is fully charged. I think a good one could also limit how fast the batteries charge so as to not overload your alternator and also that upper limit would tell you exactly what size wire you need. So I won't comment on whether #10 wire is adequate, except to say you must insert a fuse in the #10 wire line, so its current rating is not exceeded; ie. the fuse will blow if it is exceeded.

The amount of explosive hydrogen released increases as the battery becomes fully charged. So you can see if you have no charge controller to cut off the charging, then huge amounts of hydrogen are released and the water level drops in the batteries.  Even with a charge controller, of course explosive hydrogen is released, but stops at full charge.

You might not need the diode or isolation switch, if the charge controller prevents backward flow.

#3 I think having two inverters offers no advantage except differences in efficiencies, because current drain depends mostly on the item being used. I would just buy a single good quality efficient large inverter, rather than two cheap poor quality ones.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
using two inverters where one would be better for they will both use a small power just sitting doing nothing .
Yes vent your batteries it will keep gas out of the inside of the van. Be sure to clean then ever so offten for insects will plug them up when they make there little homes in the tubes.
 realy sure but I would use at least a no 8 wire or double 10's but this is a guess for the charging system capacity is unknown. As a suggestion do not use aluminum wire.
MntMnROY 13

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
Current seems to go up on cheap larger inverters primarily because of fans.  I have several dedicated inverter that are oversized for their duty.  All have been opened up and the fans removed for natural ventelation.  Each fan draws about .12A and three fans is just to much waste for idle.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
?#2.... can i use like # 10 wired to charge the bank and can i use a home lite switch for the isolation sw.

If those batteries are Group 29's maximum charge rate is 12.5 amps each during bulk, or 25 amps total.  #10 wire will handle that with no problem for the distance required to get from the front of the van to the rear, and fuse it at 30 amps.

You will need to vent the batteries to the outside to prevent explosive gases from accumulating in the van.  Be aware that the alternator in your van does not put out enough voltage to properly charge RV/marine deep cycle batteries, however.  Most automotive alternators are regulated around 14.0 volts - the batteries will die from sulfation before their time from being deficit charged.  It wouldn't hurt to pick up a temp compensated dual channel marine battery charger so you can plug into shore power and get those batteries up to the proper charging voltages now and then to keep them from getting sulfated.  The good dual channel ones are expensive (3x what a good automotive battery charger costs) and will charge either 12 or 24 volt banks - this is an example of the Minn Kota unit we have in our walleye boat:

Use just one inverter.  The idle draw from two small inverters is double what one larger one will be.
--
Chris

zingarofunkart

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
Thanks for the replys and i now have a more working knowledge. In previous setup i did have premature batt  failure (running deep cycle for starting) and now i know why.
So now im gonna use an AGM around 100 ah and #4 cable to hook it to the ship battery and would like to use a 7 wt solar rig to top off the agm.... will it work?
will i need a charge controller?

Ive read alot of posts here, my system is quite primative to the norm, here.
Thanks again for taking the time.....z