Author Topic: lifepo4 battery bank  (Read 4194 times)

nickskethisnikske

lifepo4 battery bank
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:00:21 AM »
Hi,

Why can't I see people with an lifepo4 battery bank?

I see many advantages and only one disadvantage and that is the price, but NIFE batteries are much more expensive.

advantages:
-deep cycle
-many deep cycles / long life
-smaller dimensions
-lighter to move around
-almost constant voltage when discharge , could also be disadvantage for battery monitoring
-high currents
-easier battery management (easier charging proces vs fla's)
-they like to be stored at 40-50%, so no need to fully charge them
-no sulfation problems?
-safer than the ion and poly technology

disadvantage:
-price about 3 times as much then lead acid ? but about 3 times less then NIFE
-cut off voltage but other batteries have them too

I like to have some respons or findings about the lifepo4 batteries!

myself I have a lawnmower with a 64cell (18650) battery in 12v 16ah configuration, and that's working perfect, much more powerfull then the original 12ah sla. Ok not perfect to compare since the capacity is not equal.

I also have a 12v 32ah ( 8times headway 16ah) battery for portable tools and smal inverter.

The advantage I like is that they can be charged with high current without a fast rise in voltage during charge. The voltage of my sla's rise fast when hitting 70%. What I want to say is if you charge with solar you lose less energy while charging an lifepo4 in the end stage of charging.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: lifepo4 battery bank
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
I have a small LiFePO4 battery, to take some cycling load off my larger gel SLA battery:

http://www.earth.org.uk/LiFePO4-battery-testing-with-solar-PV-off-grid-system.html

For me it works well though took a bit of thought to integrate with my existing generation sources and consumption.

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:20:35 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

definitionofis

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
Electrodacus on youtube did a bunch of videos where he assembled his own lithium battery for his solar panel system.

Here is one such video:

mab

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »

Granted they may take charge faster but you still need an battery management system for lithium; FLA's are much more forgiving of over/undercharge.

BillBlake

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
Hi,

Why can't I see people with an lifepo4 battery bank?

I see many advantages and only one disadvantage and that is the price, but NIFE batteries are much more expensive.

advantages:
-deep cycle
-many deep cycles / long life
-smaller dimensions
-lighter to move around
-almost constant voltage when discharge , could also be disadvantage for battery monitoring
-high currents
-they like to be stored at 40-50%, so no need to fully charge them
-no sulfation problems?
-safer than the ion and poly technology

disadvantage:
-price about 3 times as much then lead acid ? but about 3 times less then NIFE
-cut off voltage but other batteries have them too

I like to have some respons or findings about the lifepo4 batteries!

myself I have a lawnmower with a 64cell (18650) battery in 12v 16ah configuration, and that's working perfect, much more powerfull then the original 12ah sla. Ok not perfect to compare since the capacity is not equal.

I also have a 12v 32ah ( 8times headway 16ah) battery for portable tools and smal inverter.

The advantage I like is that they can be charged with high current without a fast rise in voltage during charge. The voltage of my sla's rise fast when hitting 70%. What I want to say is if you charge with solar you lose less energy while charging an lifepo4 in the end stage of charging.

I found Ni-Fe batteries to be around 3 times (or so) more expensive than Lead Acid
(like the Rolls 5000 Series). You could cut that Nickel Iron price way down if someone put
out a guide to bringing them in directly from Changhong in China like they do in Canada.

They quoted me $455 each for 1000 Amp Hour cells FOB in China - in writing.

The Ni-Fe cells (at retail with a little discount) were close to the same money per kWh as the Legendary Hyundai (Car)
Lithium Polymer battery pack that comes with a wiring harness that is useless for home power.
This price saying you have a business and getting a 25% discount.

I figured that South Korea has proven they are the top dogs in Lithium Batteries and nobody does South Korea better than Hyundai. Since I figured it was still a few years away for most people
and they could be 'taken out' in a heartbeat I didn't get too wrapped up in the thing but I know a college student that did.

Since last year I hear that the incomparable Hyundai has slapped a
Lifetime guarantee on their Lithium Auto Battery Pack.

As has been discussed here there are huge problems with the Nickel Iron Battery Electrolyte
that go back to the very first years Mr.Edison had them on the market.

Nothing has changed. Changhong in China is using ALL the same stuff except they cheapened the cases and the fastening process of the plates which was a huge bummer in both cases.

I put in a tremendous amount of time and effort and feel that I figured a few things out however
the 2 Changhong Dealers here in America have grown to Greatly displease me.

One has a criminal background directly related to the Ni-Fe batteries, did at least 2 prison
sentences and is using fake names now. Home Power magazine won't let him advertise.
The newer guy is a cute-ie that is hurting people with huge Ni-Fe Lies that frankly makes you wonder if they really don't just deserve to get taken.

Under these circumstances I would not feel right trying to encourage such technology and have decided to re-explore some tricks with Lead Acid when time permits.

Bill Blake

nickskethisnikske

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »

Granted they may take charge faster but you still need an battery management system for lithium; FLA's are much more forgiving of over/undercharge.

Yes that's true but they sell stuff for that, you can use normal lead/acid chargers (solarcontroller) set at about 14.4-14.6v (for 12v system). You can suply each cell with a sort of dump controller, so the individual voltage wont exceed 3.6v. These boards are not that expensive. Offcourse thats making the system more expensive.