Author Topic: Remove Aermotor Hub  (Read 7824 times)

adobejoe

Remove Aermotor Hub
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »
I have an old aermotor, 702, with very rusted hub and shaft assembly. How to remove? There is a square keyway to drive out, and oil plug to remove. Can I then just  use gear puller? I belive it is cast iron? Easy way out there?

Adobejoe

madlabs

Re: Remove Aermotor Hub
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
Joe,

I have been working on a Flint and Walling mill lately and have messed with a couple of others. So I'm no expert and I haven't gotten the hub off of my F&W... yet.

The smoke wrench (AKA oxy/acetelene torch with a rosebud) is your friend here. Try that and if you have an impact hammer use that on the end of the shaft. The vibration plus heat helps to loosen things. You can also drill the key out, lock the mill up and then try to twist the hub on the shaft. Don't be suprised if it takes a number of heat/cool cycles to get it to move. Use lotsa penetrating oil in between sessions.

If you use a puller you need to be real careful, cast iron is brittle. I have been trying that on my F&W and haven't broke the hub but haven't gotten it off. The key on this mill is an odd, wedge shaped one that is an extra pain in the a$$. Just keep at it, it'll give it up.

Jonathan

phil b

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Adobe, a picture would help if you can.

I haven't pulled the hub off a mill like this before. I have pulled cast iron flywheels off oil field engines and pulleys on farm equipment.

Check the keyway first. It may have a split key. Usually a split key will stick out past the shaft. it's made to use a hammer and chisel to remove half. Some folks call them split keys.

If you can get a bearing race puller to go on the opposite side of the hub, that would help you keep a better bind on the puller. Anyway, crank the puller as tight as you dare, then start heating the cast iron from the outside diameter. Heat it up fast and evenly until it starts to glow. I don't heat it up past there. If you don't get it free the first time, I'd put some penetrating oil or melt grease on the shaft. I will soak it up. Be sure there's nothing flammable when you put the grease/oil on it. It may flame up. I allow the shaft to get cool enough to touch before the second attempt.
Phil

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin