Author Topic: Setting up my battery bank  (Read 7311 times)

nickskethisnikske

Setting up my battery bank
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
Hi,

Actually I was not really planning on buying more batteries at this time, I wanted to go lifepo4 in a few years, but I could buy some unused powersafe 12v92f for 40€/piece.
Some may find  it to much but used batteries are verry rare over here at those prices, I've seen them used for 200€ on sites.
They were not new, some 2y others are 4y old. Seller says that they were a long time not being charged, so I hope there is not to much sulfation on those plates. All the batteries are reading between 12.25 and 12.65V, when connected to a 55W car bulb the voltages were not crashing, I saw a drop of 0.1-0.2V. So I guess that's ok.

My current setup:

800W DIY solar panels, 400w grid tied (26-30V mppt tension), 400W are feeding the batteries in 12V configuration

The panels (400W) are connected to an MPPT-10 Juta controller,  I made 2 holes in it and put on 2 small fans to cool it down, no problems so far, I mostly see charging with 15- 20A, around 25 A max. I did soldered the wires directly to they pcb. Without the fans it goes in temperature protection.

- 12V 155Ah powersafe 12v155f (7years old)
- 12V 90Ah northstar 12v 90ft  (at least 5years I think 2e hand)
- 12V 55Ah pbq agm long life (the litle one of the system :p) (must be 7 years as well)

A few weeks ago I drained it to 11.5V (under load) with a load of 4A and I had 206Ah
With a load of 6-7A the northstar is giving me 52.3ah (623wh) drained to 11.3V under load
The pbq was giving me 37ah drained with 7-4A to 11.3V under load
The powersafe was not tested yet.

All batteries are in parallel with a few brakers and switches. There is also a 1500W sine inverter.

The originally plan was to power TV and receiver (80w), workshop lights (180w), electronic chargers and some small powertools, that was working verry well, but I was facing a high idle current of the inverter, +/-2A but that dropped to 1A when voltage was over 13.5V. I didnt want to disconnect/ connect every time to safe power, so the next plan was to drain the battery overnight with a step up converter (constant current and constant voltage), it was set at 1.5A and 35V this puts out 0.7kwh every evening/night/morning. This is working verry well a few weeks now, I know the efficiency is bad (75% for the whole system, without battery efficiency) but it works and I dont want to wake the grid company before I have my next solar setup (2-4kwhp) approved.

Ok now you know my basic setup, we go further with the other batteries.

So I placed the 10 batteries of the 92Ah in parallel, yes I know most people here would shoot me ;D
But this was the easyest way to charge them for me, they are all hooked up with 10mm² solid wire, for now it will do the trick since the load is less then 10A I don't expect a lot of unbalance here.When I have more time I will make more cables to connect and have 20mm² together. The plan is to provide each battery with a fuse, I was thinking to connect 20A car style type, it should protect other batteries when one would fail. And then have one wire of 50mm² to the mainfuse and switch and go to the inverter.
But for now it will do.

First I want to do the best treatment for getting the batteries in good shape! All batteries are in parallel now and I'm charging with about 10A during the day and 3A over night. I know this could take a few days to complete. But I don't think it will harm. What is the best way after such a long time of storage?

I read a lot about batteries! So I go on with what I know.

-these are AGM type mostly used in telecom and hold at float
-long periods of uncharged /partial state will make them sulfate
-to high charging voltage will make them gass and will damage them (no electrolyt can be filled back in)
-extreme temperature will make them sulfate also
-undercharged will make them sulfate

Now I'm a big scared about undercharging because of the sulfation as I'm planning to have them always at floating voltage.

How will I use them?
During the day I will charge them with the 400w solar system, voltage will not go higher then 13.8V (when its colder sometimes 14V for a few hours) and the solar controler has temperature compensation. So actualy I will charge with floating voltage. During the night I will dicharge and will take out 1-1.5kWh, about 5-6 amps per hour. During the day solarpower will put back in the consumed power and will hold voltage around 13.8V probably not more then 3 hours a day. If the next day is sunny I will use more the night before if there will be not much sun I will use less power to feed the grid.

Will this cause a lot of sulfation on the plates? If so how could I minimize sulfation?

I know I don't need such a system but it's fun/hobby :) , the grid is very reliable over here, I could count on one hand the interuptions in one year, and if there are, normally they don't last verry long <30min. But I think it could be a problem verry soon when there are more and more people with solar, at this time we actualy buy power from neighbour countries because we can't produce enough. That could be a problem in the future.

I hope this post is not to messy :p

foto as it is now:

gww

Re: Setting up my battery bank
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
I can't answer how to better protect your batteries but I like pictures.
Thanks
gww

mab

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »
see if you can find the manufacturers datasheet online for your batteries - that should give you he precise limit of volts/amps for charging.

Standby use AGM's are normally charged at float voltage however, and the manufacturer may not suggest an alternative.

The problem with AGM's is that they usually take 16-24 hours at float voltage to fully equalize - that's difficult to achieve with a solar only system. What I do with mine is use grid powered float charger overnight every 2 weeks - 1 month to equalize the battery.

nickskethisnikske

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:36:25 AM »
mm, yes I looked at the datasheet, but there is not much of info to find actually, I think they are designed for fast discharge and slow charging.

What I find out:
Slow charging time: 48-96hr @ 13.68V-13.8V (20°C) if the current is dropped to 0.5mA for 1 Ah the battery is full
Fast charging:10-15hr @ 14.4V (20°C) max once a month

Commissioning charge
Slow : 96hr @ 13.68V-13.8V (20°C)
Fast  :24-48hr max @ 14.4V (20°C) and another 24hrs at floating voltage before use

So I think I will make 2 batterybanks for the best/longest batterylife and then switch every week to the other bank while keeping one bank @ floating 13.68V.

Bank 1:
-155AH powersafe
-5*92Ah powersafe
--> 615Ah

Bank 2:
-90Ah northstar
-55Ah PBQ
-5*92AH powersafe
-->605Ah

The load will be set @ 5-6A and about 77Ah dicharge during the night , this will be 13% dicharge with 605Ah battery but batteries are not new so maybe it would be like 15.5% dicharge with a 500Ah capacity bank. As I'm writing I realize this would be only for the first dicharge,  I will not be able to charge them in less then 12hrs. So it will be more like 20-25 dicharge every night ... But I have also more capacity @ a C100 dicharge rate... Oh I love this project already  ;D

David Hufft

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
I have a wiring schematic for proper balancing of 10 batteries in parallel but I can't post pictures yet...seeing as I am just a noob.
Make the right choices now, enjoy them later.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
David;
You can pictures with no problem, provided you stay within the size limits.
Posting links to commercial sites is a different subject.
IF you're having problems posting pictures let us know.
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

David Hufft

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »

David Hufft

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
There we go. Now it worked. =)

nickskethisnikske

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
Thanks for the schematic!