Author Topic: Modified Squarewave To Run Drill press  (Read 2409 times)

Junkie

• Scraptopower.co.uk
Modified Squarewave To Run Drill press
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:06:04 AM »
I have a 400w drill press which I need to run off a solar/wind off grid system (it's not possible to run mains there) .
I want to know if a modified square wave will be ok for running this ? What sort of power output for the inverter
should I look for. I was thinking around 1Kw to be safe.

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: Modified Squarewave To Run Drill press
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
modified sine wave will work just fine for any drill press i ever used
assuming it is a standard motor drive, and not some variable frequency varidrive type of unit.

1kwatt mod sine wave is probably marginal to start the motor effectively however if you loosen the drive belt it will startup ok, and once running you can tighten the belt and away you go.. just leave it running between holes?
1500watt would likely be very reliable at starting the thing without fussing with the belt.

if you have the 1000 watt inverter, i would say give it a try.

also starting the drill press will be much easier if the belt drive is set to the lowest spindle speed, if you are drilling little holes and have the belts setup on the higher speeds the starting will be much harder.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: Modified Squarewave To Run Drill press
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
I used to use this MSW 1000 every day from the back of my Jeep on a construction site where I couldn't get power from a generator.
 bare in mind I mostly used it to power my coffee pot and only occasionally needed it to power tools with. as long as the engine was running at with the throttle locked in at 1200RPM  I had not problems powering a 600w drill or a 4 /12" grinder or the 5 " Bosh buffer thye Saber saw  or the flex shaft tool Powering the Dewalt straight line grinder was another matter My inverter is 220v as are all of the power tools with the exception of the Dewalt 600w @120v so I needed the 700w step down transformer
 Yes my 1K worked and did the job however if I were to buy one today I would want a much larger unit. they are not that expensive I have determined that for continuous duty above a 60% duty cycle I would want to size my inverter at 2x the highest load with their built in surge cap that would relate to about 3x for starting cap. which fits right in with the locked rotor starting currents of most motors

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin