Author Topic: lithium batteries  (Read 1580 times)

Treehouse

lithium batteries
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »
I was just given 6  x 3.7V 10ah lithium batteries and would like to use them in place of my lead acid batteries. I have a small system, 200w of solar and an c40. My question is how to set up my c40 to charge the new lithium's. Is it just a matter of setting it to bulk 12.6V (4.2v per cell *3) and float at say 11.7V? and yes the batteries will have protection circuits on each cell. Is it that simple or will this kill them?  Any input would be great.. Thanks..

nickskethisnikske

Re: lithium batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »
The most important thing is that you make sure it will not charge higher then 12.6V and wil stay above 3V per cell.
For floating I think you can get away with 12.6V as well, I guess they are li-ion?  Most cells are staying verry long above 12.3V when they are stored.  So maybe you can set at 12.3V for safety, better check the datasheet first!
I would go for one protection circuit that is designed for 12.6V of course, no experience with protection board on each cell, it could cause problems when one kicks in protection  .

Treehouse

Re: lithium batteries
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »
I just read an article that says li-ion don't like to be float charged.. so I'm not sure if this is going to work. I will wait and see if there is anyone here that may have more info. Surely I can't be the only one that is doing this ;)