Author Topic: mutiple wind turbines for gti  (Read 7508 times)

patpinto80

mutiple wind turbines for gti
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:10:37 AM »
Is it possible to hook up three wind turbines to one grid tie inverter.If I hook them up and there getting about 5 volts does when they turn,that mean the inverter is getting 15volts.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: mutiple wind turbines for gti
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:14:57 AM »
If you are grid-tied whoever approves of the electrical connections and grid-tie would be the one to answer that. Off-grid no one cares.

If your turbine is only making 5 volts you are wasting your time hooking it up to anything.

3 turbines in series would produce series voltage if you had a diode protecting the output between them. Turbine 1 would have the series ground, #2 would be fed the plus side of #1 through a diode, the output of #2 would feed #3 through a diode and the output of #3 would be the series hot lead. Not a very good idea, really.

Why did you ask?

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:26 AM »
3 turbines in series? Ouch I think I might be able to smell magic smoke in higher winds, what happens to #3 when the accumulative voltage of#1&2  hits #3
 or would it work  using 1 ph from each generator  to the next say 1/0-1 into 2/0-2 into 3/0-3=1 then 1/0-2 into 2/0-3 into 3/0-1 =2 then 1/0-3 into 2/0-1 into 3/0-2 this would give you 6 down leads 0-123=1, 0-231=2, 0-312=3 tie the 3 starts together (000)-123
 Still sounds scary 
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
what about rectifying them individually and running them in parallel into a battery.
run your grid tie off the battery?

Rob Beckers

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
Pat, I actually had a customer that did exactly what you describe: Have multiple rotors drive a single grid-tie wind inverter. It was a prototype wind turbine with multiple rotors. They rectified each alternator, and hooked up the positive/negative in series, upping the voltage. I made the MPPT table for them, last I heard it was working pretty well.

From the perspective of maximum power point tracking it can only work if those rotors and alternators are identical, and are all seeing (very nearly) the same wind. I expect this to work very poorly if those turbines are on separate towers, physically separated from each other. It would not work at all if those turbines are of different type (different rotor/alternator size etc.)

-RoB-

patpinto80

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
True the 5 volts i got was just an example not actual volts it may produce.I thought if you had a diode between them it might work thanks for the info .Im new to this

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
Unless you are talking larger (12') or larger turbines and real amounts of kWh per day you're wasting time and money. You need to check with the utility and find out what the monthly connection fee is and what they pay for your power to find out if you can actually make enough power to come out ahead, my guess is no.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

blewbird

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
As a note of interest - I now have two wind turbines hooked up in series running through a Xantrex XW 6048 with a C 60 charge controller.  These are homebuilt turbines with 12 1/2 ft swept area each.  One has been working great for over a year.  The second has been up for over a month and is doing well.  As some of the other responders note - if they are not matched - there will be trouble.  I burned up two stators in the 2nd turbine before I gave up on innovating and duplicated the 1st turbine.  They are on separate rectifiers, which I presume prevents load problems.  Each will produce about 70 volts (I think) under optimum wind conditions.  Both turbines have survived very high winds (about 60mph).  I'd like to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
If the turbines are separately rectified there is no reason one should have anything to do with the other.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:38 AM »
I can't see making a call on Grid tie unless you have a diagram of the entire production plan .
I'm not a proponent of Grid tie . It has to do with DIY low tech hubs that are better used in some cottage Business  as apposed to the just pushing power .

Windy11

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
Some people over at the Windy Nation have been successfully running multiply turbines to grid-tie inverters for several years. Basically they rectify them to DC and then connect them in parellel to a buss bar, then to the inverter.  The most popular grid-tie inverter is the Chinese Sun G wind rated which of course is not UL approved so it's done under the radar.
Alias: Andy R.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
Windy11;
I'm thinking that done under the radar could get more than one person into serious trouble should there be a fault.
NOT wanting to get anyone doing this into trouble, would you happen to have pictures of these? or stats on those that are grouped together?
I would be interesting to read the numbers.
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
My utility has stated for the record that any person tying to the grid without all the proper inspections and paper work will be completely disconnected from the grid, they have an appeals process but you could end up without grid power for an extended length of time.

gww

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
I hooked my homemade solar to one for a while to check it out.  I had 17 amps and 14 volts to the gti and only got out about 100 watts.  I also wonder what the new smart meters actually see?  I wrote the company that sold me two of them and ask what happened to the 97% efficency.
It was fun but I hope my outback system does better even with battery losses.
gww

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
There's alot of things to do with extra power . I under stand the motivation for pushing pwr to the electric Cos . However it's getting colder and that's a big incentive to power up some home heating . I like a Kiln for small brick operation or smelting aluminum  . Greenhouses, glass reclaiming , grinding and makeing mulch ,HHO I have a list if I can locate it . Any thing that takes a discarded resource to end user item is money back fairly fast .

Windy11

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
My utility has stated for the record that any person tying to the grid without all the proper inspections and paper work will be completely disconnected from the grid, they have an appeals process but you could end up without grid power for an extended length of time.

Yeah, I finally got a 2000 watt windmill project completed this week after an 13 month journey. I flirted with doing it illegally  to save hassels and money but went completely legal and will have my last inspection tomorrow so I'm fresh with all the paperwork and all. I'm here in Pa and  had to install a "lockable" disconnect switch beside my outside utility smart meter meter so if they are upset about anything, they can have it locked and can also shut me off from their service.  I also had to install an additional meter socket for a sepatate smart meter to measure my Renewable energy production. At this point I'm not really sure how it will all work. I just said yes to all they wanted me to do.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
That, is why I'll NEVER be grid tied, it's all weighted in their favor. Do you know what your monthly connection fee is?

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
By shear numbers and the Technology  involved the Power Cos don't stand a chance at retaining sovereignty over the informed public . Electric is Cheep enough but you can now move in equipment to replace the Power you need to buy  so that's all there is to it .

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
You still can't make it cheaper than you can buy it.

Windy11

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
That, is why I'll NEVER be grid tied, it's all weighted in their favor. Do you know what your monthly connection fee is?

I don't have a monthly connection aggreement. 

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
Almost every utility charges a monthly fee to hook to their grid.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 03:41:51 AM »
fab: that may be true of parts of the US, but it certainly is not true here in England, for small systems.  (I've not grid-tied anything larger than 17kW.)

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 06:18:29 AM »
It's a good thing to able to sell power to your electric companies . In the southern portion on the US the interfaces are not available without a lot of admin I won't waste time trying to iron out details . I feel confident it's 20 yrs away . When there is a package offered from the local power companies then maybe. I have plenty of devices that use the added power and I think I can get locals to take up RE involving EV's, greenhouse production in winter , small scale recycling of aluminum and welding . Those things can go together in a very short time and return on investment is easy to calculate .

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
In MN the grid tie process is pretty straight forward. File the paperwork, have a certified installer do the hookup. All your equipment has to be UL approved though including the solar panels or wind turbine. They pay retail rate and no huge monthly fee, just your normal meter fee.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
Windy Nation have been successfully running multiply turbines to grid-tie inverters for several years. Basically they rectify them to DC and then connect them in parellel to a buss bar, then to the inverter.  The most popular grid-tie inverter is the Chinese Sun G wind rated which of course is not UL approved so it's done under the radar.

Windy11?

Windy Nation?

Windy11 mentioning Windy Nation sun G inverter, which #1 google hit is a Utube by windy nation, who sells that car alt, and those blades, and who could still be PO'd at me for calling him out on another forum for posts about the blades and relay based charge controllers, and... ?

IIRC, the respose to my questions about CCs, blades, and PMAs, was "I don't know.  I will contact the manufacturer."

Another one of these?
(and some pople wonder why UL-Listed is important!)
http://ludens.cl/Electron/chinverter/chinverter.html

No need to worry about it.
I am reporting myself.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:33:46 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
Been there done that, with a brand of "Stackable" inverters from ebay, not sure if they are even there anymore, I bought two and stacked em for 10kW, the only difference in my story was one actually caught fire, luckily I was present at the time.
I have two of those brand new in the box if anybody is interested, replacements for the burned ones that I never put into service.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
G-
No need to worry about reporting yourself.
Once I saw the "under the Radar" part my hackles were raised too.
I'm following this post with great interest to make sure it doesn't become a qualifier for them.
Thanks for the heads up!!
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Windy11

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 12:01:15 AM »
Windy Nation have been successfully running multiply turbines to grid-tie inverters for several years. Basically they rectify them to DC and then connect them in parellel to a buss bar, then to the inverter.  The most popular grid-tie inverter is the Chinese Sun G wind rated which of course is not UL approved so it's done under the radar.

Windy11?

Windy Nation?

Windy11 mentioning Windy Nation sun G inverter, which #1 google hit is a Utube by windy nation, who sells that car alt, and those blades, and who could still be PO'd at me for calling him out on another forum for posts about the blades and relay based charge controllers, and... ?

Hey ghurd, take it easy.

Although I do post over here as "Windy 11"and am also a member of the "Windy Nation" webpage, I have no affiliation with the "Windy Nation" Web page staff.

When I post over at "Windy Nation", I post as "Andy R."  When I attemped to sign in over here about year ago, I tried to post as "Andy R." but had difficulties. I think there were problems with the board at that time but after about 5 attemps, I got on and used windy 11.

So with due respect. I think that this is a case of mistaken identify. I'm certainly not "Josh" or any of his people.

Also. the "Windy" people are into the Windy "500" or "750" PMA's which are not the car alternators types which are often refered to MW or "Jeff".

No hard feelings.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »
No hard feelings.

Good.
Me too.
G-
PS- Please understand we GMs have to be kind of careful about some new posters having hidden agendas.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
Quote from: Ghurd
Please understand we GMs have to be kind of careful about some new posters having hidden agendas.

Im glad this worked out, although it sounds abit paraniod

JW

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »
JW, I can't even remember how many of those guys I've seen on this board, a couple dozen at least.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
When I saw Ghurds warning in the admin area, I wasnt sure about the claim.

Damon has been pointing to the amount of spam were getting lately, but this case deals with a real person I think 5 registration attempts were made.

Were not perfect, I dont mind shutting someone down, after the've done something, its the pro-active measures that concern me.

Were pretty think skinned around here, the problem is theres so many IP addresses and bogus emails we cant get it right 100% of the time, its okay...

We have plenty of time, also some users enjoy the debate as reasoned thinking. Its possible to be polite and shut a post down, after that should we ban some IP address? maybe...

Where dealing with real people not "bots" that makes it less cut and dry. Ive seen users with really funky usernames that are legitimate posters.

I think its a wait and see game thats all.

JW

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
Sorry for the earlier diversion.

True the 5 volts i got was just an example not actual volts it may produce.I thought if you had a diode between them it might work thanks for the info .Im new to this

I do not believe it would need a "diode" on each unit.

I think what would spoil the plan would be 3x the resistance.

Jerry did something sort of similar where 3 were rectified to DC, fed to big caps, and the caps were seriesed to get more voltage.  Except he did it with all 3 in the same machine (a 3 phase alternator).
Still, it is the same idea.
G-