Author Topic: LED bridge  (Read 1642 times)

artv

LED bridge
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
Hi All, I was wondereing if LEDs' use the same voltage as normal diodes? I made a bridge out of LEDs', do they need the ~.7 volts before they operate?
The dc reading out of the bridge is 2 volts, this is just one coil. So 4 diodes all lit ,but alternating with the ac pulses from the coil.
How come I can put 10 of the same LEDs' parallel to the ac input and still have  the 2 volts dc output?
Why don't the 10 parallel diodes eat up the voltage?
Just wondering if LED's operate the same as normal diodes?
I'm out of time ,but plan on seeing just how many I can connect before they don't light anymore or the 2vdc begins to drop, whichever comes first :D
I wish I had more time,but don't we all..
artv

mab

Re: LED bridge
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
simple answer is no.

a diode drops about 0.7v. an led drops a voltage which depends roughly on colour; 1.8-2.2 for red rising to 3.2-4 for blue/white. The voltage drop correspomds to the bandgap and so does the energy of the photons generated (i.e. the colour).

Actual voltage drop also depends on forward current as does that of a standard diode, but I don't think even a red LED will conduct below 1.2v.

artv

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
So how much does a diode need to conduct??
If it requires X-amount, and you use it,
How can there be excess to run 10 or maybe more duplicates??
How does the Led bridge, not see the spike ,of a shorted coil, which can run multiple loads??
Still exp. just questions I came up with...
artv

tanner0441

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
Hi

You don't mention what the available current is at you 2V or what the LEDs are rated at. I bought a roll of LEDs from the internet which if you try to run the full 5 meter roll from a little plug it in the wall 12V power supply they are pretty dim... If you connect the leads to a 12V battery they will make you look away.

Before anyone can answer your question you need to give more information, and I would advise you to read up on basic electronics and ohms law.

Some years ago I used to use LED panel lamps which were a number of LEDs wired alternate way round and they ran on 6V AC and lasted longer than bulbs in the same application.

Brian