Author Topic: Wired Questions  (Read 1822 times)

Cireray

Wired Questions
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »
     First off i would like to say thanks, this site has been the most helpful and all your members are the best. I have been reading posts on here for about a year now and got me hooked. I was so moved by all the great information that I built a small HAWT with stuff i had sitting around in my garage and shed. Its only a 5 ft diamiter 3 blade design (for learning and its all the material I had), and 12 coil stator with 32 rare earth magnets (16 on each side). I set it up for 3 phase wired in star pattern, I was looking for a lower cut in speed with my small unit. I am using a GM alternator rectifier mounted on the back of the turbine in a box for keeping it out of the weather. The tower I have right now is only 16 ft high for learning reasons. My question is i have alot of house wiring can i run a few strands of 12 gauge wire from the rectifier to my controller (I havent build that part yet waiting for the money to buy a few of the kits from Ghurd) instead of buying wire right now, and can i use the tower as a ground from the rectifier to ground level, and tapping off the tower to the controler ??? Any input would be GREATLY taken in and used if i can. If i can get this to work i plan on using it to light my kids playhouse and maybe use the dump load to heat it alittle so they might be able to use it in winter  :).

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wired Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »
For small scale experiments you can use any wire you can get, parallel it if the loss is too great.

As long as there is no ac connection to the tower at any point again you can use the tower to bring down the negative from the rectifier. You are not likely to see some of the negative effects on a small experimental set up.

Flux

tanner0441

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »
Hi

One quick point, I used to work with US spec. domestic wiring and it is very stiff, for the drop down the mast you really need something flexible to allow for the twisting as the turbine pivots on the mast.

Brian

Cireray

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
     Thanks for the info it will help alot.  8) keep up the great stuff.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
to buy a few of the kits from Ghurd

If i can get this to work i plan on using it to light my kids playhouse and maybe use the dump load to heat it alittle so they might be able to use it in winter  :).

Only need 1 kit.  But need power resistors.

Sorry, not going to get any real heat out of it.  Just not big enough to make a dent in the amount of power required to make it much warmer.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller