Author Topic: gas cans  (Read 3929 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
gas cans
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
There are a few gas stations that are in some of the states where you cannot pump your own gas. They are starting to refuse to fille non safety dispensing gas cans. They will with just the cap but if there is a spout in the cap they may not fill it. Liability reasons. Pretty soon we will need to put on a hazemat suit to fill our lawmower. We'll probably need to get a work permit to run your lawnmower.  And when is the yearly testing going to happen for exhaust.
MntMnROY 13

David HK

Re: gas cans
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:06:30 AM »
How big is your lawn?

Can you convert to a man push lawnmower i.e. no engine?

How about a sheep or a goat? The wife perhaps?

Can you drive your lawn mower into a filling station and ask for the tank to be filled up? You may muck up the blades in the process.

Work permit, exhaust emission standard - the good news is that its on the way. Yes the whole world will require users of a lawn mower to hold a lawn mower driving licence and emissions will be subject to those of a sealed clean laboratory standard.

The whole world is now being ruled by the ever increasing bureaucrats that come out of universities with no real life experience who want to make a name by oppressing ordinary folks with draconian nonsense. If this rubbish had been invented in 1940 the USA would have lost WWII.

Its an interesting comment thanks for posting.

David HK

madlabs

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
Ugh. Here in CA, we have these awful gas can spouts that are supposed to reduce emission while re-filling. What they really do is make you spill more (creating more emissions) slowing the fill rate, all while increasing your cuss rate. I HATE those @%&%& things.

Jonathan

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Yea its called ignorance gone to seed propagating by stupidity. what the heck is wrong with using a funnel and a 2 liter Pepsi bottle anyway. when they get down to about 1/4 full you can, Well I better not write about what they can be used for
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
When my last gas can started leaking from to many expand and contract cycles (-31 to +100f temps do that) I saved the gas spout. When I go fill use the weird funky short one with the safety lever because it doesn't leak in the back of my car. Fill with the long old one. Someone could make good money by making and selling an aftermarket screw on filler spout!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:33 PM »
I like the round safety cans except they spill more when you pour. In south Florida the safety cans don't vent fumes like the plastic ones do. I have owned cars with semi-functioning fuel gauges or kept extra fuel in the back for portable generators or long trips upstate. I won't put the cheap plastic cans in my vehicle anymore. The fumes may me ill.

The safety cans are expensive, though. $40 and up for a 5 gallon with a spring loaded lid. The army/navy surplus store here has jerry cans with a screw-on spout and a vent hole that makes dispensing eisier. And yeah, they rust if you leave them out, so I keep them dry. Gas keeps longer in a steel can with a sealed top, too. No condensation inside in humid weather.

admin

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
See my rant about this on Otherpower, with photos!
http://otherpower.com/gas_cans
FAIL!

We have a few of those awesome safety cans on my fire department here. They are GREAT!
but they are also $100 each for a 5 gallon can.

admin

Volvo farmer

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »
Hilarious. I checked Ebay for old gas tank spouts and they all had over a dozen bids and are selling for as much as $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Blitz-Gas-Can-Spout-Pull-Up-Spout-Vented-Plastic-Gas-Cans-/271077059752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1d73aca8
Less bark, more wag.

admin

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
The race car cans/spouts are also great.....but expensive and technically illegal to fill.
I have heard horror stories from California (dune buggy folks) where they go around and bust you for having them.
Of course, that's one of many reasons I don't live in California.....
DAN F