Author Topic: MPPT Controller with DC Power Supply Input  (Read 7999 times)

Tritium

MPPT Controller with DC Power Supply Input
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:12:11 AM »
Is there any reason why I couldn't use a spare MPPT Charge controller with a Mains driven DC output power supply input rather than Solar Panels for the input. I want the mains to backup my solar charging on days when the array doesn't have sufficient output to bring the battery bank to full charge.

Thurmond

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: MPPT Controller with DC Power Supply Input
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »
if it is filtered well, why not?

however it seems like a waste of an mppt controller to me.

is this the spare mx60?

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Tritium

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
Yes the spare, Bob. I want to feed it 48V (old telephone CO 50A power rectifier: read that battery charger) and have it convert it down to 12V which is what my system is.

Thurmond

gww

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:26 PM »
Thurmond
when the charge controller converted 48 volt fifty amp to twelve volt would the convertion cause the controller to be above the 60 amp rateing?  Are you going to power it with a generator?  I have an ac generator and the outback system I have doesn't accept gen power "except maby honda" so I would have to go through the batteries.  I would be very curious to the answer of my first question.
Thanks
gww

PS How do you like your new flexmax 80?

Tritium

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
Thurmond
when the charge controller converted 48 volt fifty amp to twelve volt would the convertion cause the controller to be above the 60 amp rateing?  Are you going to power it with a generator?  I have an ac generator and the outback system I have doesn't accept gen power "except maby honda" so I would have to go through the batteries.  I would be very curious to the answer of my first question.
Thanks
gww

PS How do you like your new flexmax 80?

Interesting question and possibly the deal breaker. The manual states that Max Short Circuit Current supplied to the unit can only be 48A. Total for a 12V system is 800 watts input so I may not be able to use the Telephone "rectifier". I may have to go with Plan B which is an old server power supply.

The FlexMax 80 is OK but I would rather have a Classic from Midnite since it can connect directly to my network without additional cost.

Thurmond

gww

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
Thurmond
I looked on the outback teck forum and I believe the mx 60 is self limiting of amps based on heat.  I wish you would look your self and not just take my word for it.  It was mentioned that 100 amps wouldn't hurt it but you are only getting up to 70 amps max based on heat.  There is a setting to increase the amps to 70 but that doesn't mean you will get it if it runs hot.  Some put heat sinks, take covers off and place fans on them to increase output.  I think you can use it but it might slightly reduce the chargers output.  I could post a link if you want to read it yourself.  I wouldn't go over voltage though.  I hope i am not screwing this up, but I think I am not.
good luck
gww

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
why run the risk of smoking a perfectly good mppt controller in such a scheme?
when there are clearly better ways of doing what needs to be done.

you could sell the mx60 and buy a nice charger, that would take the abuse, and save one level of conversion.

just a thought?

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Tritium

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
why run the risk of smoking a perfectly good mppt controller in such a scheme?
when there are clearly better ways of doing what needs to be done.

you could sell the mx60 and buy a nice charger, that would take the abuse, and save one level of conversion.

just a thought?

bob g

It's gone to e-bay!  ;)

Thurmond

gww

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
Thurmond
You mention the midnite classic being able to connect to your network with no additional cost.  Are you willing to exspand on this?  I am just learning and am curious.
Thanks
gww

Tritium

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:30:33 PM »
Thurmond
You mention the midnite classic being able to connect to your network with no additional cost.  Are you willing to exspand on this?  I am just learning and am curious.
Thanks
gww

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/classic-manual.pdf

The manual is at the link above.  It has both ethernet connections and USB connections built in.

Thurmond

gww

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:36:23 AM »
Thurmond
Ok, monitoring and controlls.  I think I understand.
Thanks
gww

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
I was thinking of paralleling a 30 volt unregulated dc supply with my solar panel input to the charge controller for battery charge at night.

gww

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
Maryalana
How do you get the 30 volts and what does unregulated mean?
Thanks
gww

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 04:15:34 PM »
I have a lot of scrap electronics and one has a 24 volt 10 amp transformer. Add a full wave bridge and capacitor filter for ~33 volts. All stuff I have laying around. Unregulated means the voltage will sag as needed under load and will vary with the AC line voltage.

gww

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
Maryalana
Thanks
gww

Tritium

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
My FM-80 is up for sale now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221139860829?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649  ;)

I am going to go Midnite Classic all the way. A single Classic will handle ALL my panels (barely) according to their calculator.  8)

Thurmond