Author Topic: Thoughts on using a golf cart for .....  (Read 3885 times)

bart

Thoughts on using a golf cart for .....
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
...your battery bank. 48v. Main or aux.
   Currently have an Club Car 48v golf cart with 6- Trojan t875 8v batteries. Rated at 170 @ 20 hour rate.
Would like to see if I can cram 8-6v in there to get amp/hr rate up. Would upgrade the wiring.
  Love using it as its quiet and pulls the garden cart with no effort. Firewood, dirt...etc., it don't care.
Faster than the garden "tractor" and makes quick trips on the acreage.
Batteries are getting old though.
   but no one here that I have noticed has used one in their RE systems and I gots to know if there is a reason that I am missing.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Thoughts on using a golf cart for .....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
Well, in a slightly bigger picture, grid operators drool at the thought of being able to use EV batteries as distributed (and hefty) grid storage, helping balance intermittent energy generation such as wind and solar...  So yes.

I did also flirt with the idea of buying a small EV with lead-acid batteries and plumbing it in as my main store, but the manufacturer was going distinctly pale even over the phone when called them, at the thought of what idiotic damage I might do to the car or me ... but it's really much the same thing.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

CraigM

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
Gary at Builditsolar.com may have something similar to what you're looking for.

Check out this link; http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146874.msg1010169.html#msg1010169

Here's more detail at his website; http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Vehicles/E15ElecTrak/Main.htm

I always thought he had a good idea for mobile power storage.

Hope this helps,
CM
Brain engaged in Absorption Charge Mode... please wait, this may take awhile.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »
bart;
 Just to clarify:
Are you wanting to add more batteries to your Cart? or plug in the cart for extra storage on your off-grid system?
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

bart

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
   Hey Damon, that would be cool. But for me electric cars are outta my price range.

Hello Craig. Thanks for showing that, I forgot about Gary having one. He has a great site. Got tempted by a couple of the Elec-Tracs on craigs list, but they were the small ones, with out all the accessories that Gary has for his.   Another thing that is they are 36v. To the best of my knowledge none of the top 3 inverter manufacturers do anything with 36v. Maybe if a larger one came around with good attachments i.e. tiller and that front mount mower ( I like that idea) I would spring for it.

Hi Bruce. Am looking at replacing the batteries in the cart. They are the only batteries I have right now, but would be looking at the cart more as an aux bank in the future. Can you call it an RE system if you have the major parts and pieces, but nothing up yet?  http://fieldlines.com/Smileys/default/smiley.gif. I do have some questions and need advice on getting it finalized, but probably for another thread.
 Oh yes, Greetings from the Queen City of the Ozarks!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
Oh yes, Greetings from the Queen City of the Ozarks!
That's pretty cool! one of our granddaughter's live down there!!
I was bummed seeing all the "upgrades" to the live fish holder :-(.
I remember it were you could walk around it, now all ya get to do is watch them feed them.
You see any of the Melhorns down there tell em Bruce says to tell nugget hi!!

gww

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:14 PM »
Bruce S
Dang, I'm going to have to get my map out.  I'm going to start putting pins in it every where you have a relitive.  You might have a chance to run for state office.  It is nice to "meet" another neighbor.
cheers from missouri
gww

bart

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »
   The live fish holder...
Gotta be talking about Bass Pro. Or Have they finally gotten the "Wonders of Wildlife" open (A Johnny Morris subsidiary, brought to by OUR tax dollars). Have been around there in over a year.
 If I see one of yourn Kin, I'll say Howdy!

Gosh I wish Bruce would run. How about the Fed. senate race Bruce??? Come on. GOT to be better than the Yahoos runnin now.

Howdy gww. Come on over, the weathers fine and fall colors are great! Gee, you don't need any oak leaves do you?

gww

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
Bart
Leaves?  I'm in the woods.  Maby we could send them to Bruce?  Do class A countys have leaves?
gww

Roadhse2

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
Just wanted to say Hi from West Plains...i am "in process" of putting up 5060 watts of PV and 4 wind gens, industrial 24v 900ah battery for storage....still gathering parts and pieces but getting closer....

Glen

bart

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
   Hi Glen.
That really sounds like a nice system coming together. Would like to do wind like you. but would have to go to 90' towers to get clear of the trees.
  Nice area there. have floated on the Current, Jacks Fork, and the Eleven Point. Beautiful. 

Roadhse2

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »
We have 5 acres on the edge of town that was part of a dairy farm, i bought it because it was right for solar and wind being mostly grass fields. Very few trees and a hill behind the house where the windgens will go on 40 ft towers...clear sky to the south for the solar PV and solar water heaters....

I would like to find another 24v industrial battery to up my capacity and to go to a 48v system...i wonder if i could use 6volt golf cart batteries with this large battery to get to 48v?

We have another house closer to Springfield in the woods that require at least 90 ft towers to do any good...not something i really want to have to deal with.....

Glen

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
Bruce S
Dang, I'm going to have to get my map out.  I'm going to start putting pins in it every where you have a relitive.  You might have a chance to run for state office.  It is nice to "meet" another neighbor.
cheers from missouri
gww
Let me state for the record. I ain't a running for guberment. I was brought up not lie, steal or cheat, so I'm already disqualified  ;D.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:34:45 AM »
Bart
Leaves?  I'm in the woods.  Maby we could send them to Bruce?  Do class A countys have leaves?
gww
Sorry I don't need the extra work :), the pin oak and Maple trees keep me busy enough, but thanks for the offer.
 ;)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
Didn't Oztules do that with his home-built EV?
I can't find the posting...  it was only 2-3 years ago that he took the engine out of a compact car, installed a double-digit HP dc motor, and filled the trunk with golf-cart batteries...  Wasn't that him?
And he kept it charged off his WT, too.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bart

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
   Thanks for bringing that up.
Yip, I remember that now. It is a great read, as always with Oztules.