Author Topic: 12 volt lighting control  (Read 3040 times)

globalworrying

12 volt lighting control
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »
I am helping with a sign project, this is a charitable / memorial thing, not for profit. I have two trojan 6v agm
batteries, and 45 watts of solar. we want to run about 32 watts of 12 volt leds, in order for the solar that we have to be adequate especially during short winter days, the best idea I have is a controller to turn the load
on at dusk and then off 4-5 hours later, however I do not know if such a thing is available and I do not have the knowledge to design it. I also have a 12 volt photo control I purchased off e-bay last year for a project I never got around to, I don't know if it will carry 32 watts, I was considering using an automotive relay
but I was first going to check how much current it uses just to close the contacts.
purchasing more solar is an option, just wanted to check with you guys for ideas first.
I would be open to paying to have something made or trading for sign type white leds if anyone is interested.
thanks
rick

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: 12 volt lighting control
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
I know that the Steca PR series does that (PR1010, PR2020, PR3030) It has a setting to turn on the output at dusk, and off 1 to 8 hour later, or at dawn.

I'm sure there's other, cheaper controllers that can do that too... :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:46:22 AM »
A Morningstar SL-10 does just that and is rated for 10A charge and load.  It will also shut off if the battery gets low.  I sold a number of these on ebay last year for about $30 used.  It will also calculate dawn if you also want early morning operation.

globalworrying

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
thank you for the replies I will check into both of those.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
After using morning star gear I highely recomend it solid little units that just plain work!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

richhagen

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
The old Trace C12 that I have has a setting to set the on time after dark for lighting, although without one in front of me (at work) I don't recall what the shortest on time was.  They were about $100 or so new, but I would bet there are used ones about.  I have 2 of them and have had no problems over the years. 

For a really cheap option something could probably be rigged with a 555 timer circuit set to activate once the panels voltage drops below a certain voltage and turn on a FET for a period of time, and then reset once the solar panel voltage increases above a certain point.
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

globalworrying

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
I ordered the morningstar, sounds like it will be perfect.
I'll let you know.
thanks again.
rick

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »
"32 watts of 12 volt leds"?
Thats a lot of light.

Might reconsider how much light it actually needs, or how it is focused.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller