Author Topic: have some questions and looking for uses...  (Read 1885 times)

machinemaker

have some questions and looking for uses...
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
I have access to plastic 55 gallon food grade drums and plastic totes. I am considering using the totes for hot water storage in a drain back system. will these take 180-200 degree heat with out too much loss of structural integraty? I figure that the totes in a steel frame should do OK and that I could put 4 down in our cellar tied together and well insulated. Since I am getting these for free with the agreement of not selling them I though that it would make a very cheap way to store heat.  Also I have several other ideas for uses around the homestead and would be interested in hearing other uses. several totes will go into a greenhouse for a aquaponic system, some of the drums will be cut up for other uses. with a free resource I would be interested in hearing ideas.
Thanks, kent

altosack

Re: have some questions and looking for uses...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
Hi Kent,

There's food grade and there's food grade.  Most large food grade containers are polyethylene (PE, or HDPE, #2), and are only good for about 140 F.  While some PE is cross-linked (often called PEX) and is good for about 180 F, I've never seen any marked as food grade, but as far as I know, no distinction is made, so you usually can't tell.  It's not commonly used in place of normal PE because it's more expensive.

Polycarbonate and Polypropylene are good for 200 F, and are used in smaller containers, but I've never seen it used in -large- food-grade containers because of its cost.

Unless you know what kind of plastic it is, you might want to restrict it to 140 F.  I find that you start losing too much heat at high temperatures, but if the heat is free, then why not ?  You might want to invest in some -really- reliable heat/pressure pop-off valves and mixing valves, though.

machinemaker

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. We are very rural, kind of rebuilding an old homestead. last year I did a bit of labor bartering with a woman who owns a nursery / gardening center, she gave me all the glass from a greenhouse for helping her remove it, I have about 3000 lbs of 16"x24" glass now for a greenhouse and I have thought about using some totes in the greenhouse to raise talapia and water the plants. the drums will have some uses each spring for collecting maple sap for syrup. I also will convert one drum into a chicken plucker and one into a honey extractor. Over the years alot of the things in the shop I got through scrounging so I know that free stuff like this has value. I wanted to broaden the scope of my ideas for uses. The big sacks I can think of a couple used, but there hast to be others. It would be great to find some things that could also generate some shop income in addition to uses around here.
thanks for the ideas.
kent

azjustin

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:11:53 AM »
By "tote" you mean 275 gallon IBC type?  If so, 90% of them are HDPE #2.  I'm digging through my literature right now and can't find the temps they recommend but it's not high, 140F would be pushing it.   Although I've sold totes to people who have done worse to them and haven't called me back.  The plastic barrels are about the same IIRC.  Mauser and Schuetz are the biggest manufacturer if you want to research yourself.

Totes and tilapia are what sells right now.  Get a breeding pair and see what happens.

Good luck.