Author Topic: Tiny batteries to test system first?  (Read 2506 times)

lowerstoford

Tiny batteries to test system first?
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:43:03 AM »
I have been having some problems with my wind setup and I am wondering if it has anything to do with using stupidly tiny batteries on the system

I must state I am only using these to check everything is OK and working before I invest £400 on proper ones.

I am using 12v 7ah SLA.

at 48V this gives me a storage capacity on 7ah

at 24v (Im testing at this voltage as the turbine never gets to 48V?) this gives me a massive 14ah!!!

So the question is will using small capacity batteries affect the charging power? Would if stop the voltage from reaching charge levels?

Thanks

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Tiny batteries to test system first?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
Voltage is voltage.
It will not stop the turbine from reaching charge levels.

However, in good wind, the voltage will rise crazy fast.
Bad for the battery.
And if the dump load is big enough to deal with hi power, that's hi amps.  Bad for the battery.

Also want a fast controller and careful testing done in less than hi windspeeds.
Xantrex C series is known for reacting slowly, which could do some bad things to other parts of the system.

Use your head and it would be OK for testing.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

lowerstoford

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Thanks for the answer

Voltage never rises above battery level so dump load doesn't even come in

I have major problem getting the turbine to produce any power

Wind speeds today are 5-8m/s and nothing

If you have a chance ,please could you review my other posts and see if you can help?

Im really stuck, I can believe I am not able to produce anything

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147285.0.html

and

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147299.0.html

Thanks

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
I don't have anything to add past what the others said.

Mostly, I suspect it is kind of a crappy turbine design, designed to make high power in hurricanes, and not much in normal winds.
Guessing it is based on a reworked car alt.

I think it needs a good bench test to get an idea of what needs done to it.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
I've read your past posts.
With regard to the size of the batteries, the only think that could keep them from coming up to voltage would if you had a bad battery.
I have a 48Vdc system setup using solar panels and once the sun comes up, the meter show the voltage rising until my GHurd controllers kicks in.
My 48V system which is for an e-scooter uses free to-me 6V 7Ah batteries setup in 48Vdc fashion, so even though your system Ah is small you should still see voltages up above the dying levels.
When you get a calm wind moment, short the mills legs, pull the batteries off each other and see if you have a bad battery.
Let them sit for a good hour 2 or more would be better, then test each one separately, making sure they are at the same voltage.
Then if they are not at the same voltage take your best 4 set them up as 48V and reconnect the the controller and un-brake the mill to see how well everything works together.
Let the other batteries sit overnight if you can, and check to see if you have one that has gone bad on you.
Better to have 7Ah of 48Vdc than 0Ah of 48Vdc.
IF ALL batteries are okay, can still try letting the system charge this smaller setup.

Hope this helps
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
If things check out could you possibly have a bad wire connection at the turbine. As a long shot check for a hot wire connection (temperature).  Or even bad bearings. These are long shot ideas. But it eliminats other areas. You have probably checked everything but I thought I would toss in my  2 penneies. 13
MntMnROY 13