Author Topic: And now I got this thing...  (Read 3683 times)

makenzie71

Re: And now I got this thing...
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
haha no I'm usually good about throwing oil left and right.  I blame the heat!

I didn't get it stood up today but it's so close I want to scream!  We kept having this weird north wind blowing up randomly.  It'd be dead calm, then 20mph out of the north or north east.  The way I'm pulling it up it'll be braced against the stubs, but the stubs don't get concrete poured until the tower is up and bolted to them.  Makes things get real hairy if it's windy.  I might run some temporary guy wires if it's still acting up tomorrow and pull it up anyway.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »
let me thing.
Put up a windmill or go  kayaking  with the family?
I'll take kayaking for 1200 & the daily double BOB!

Hope it was a great outing !!

Bruce S 
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

makenzie71

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
It's always a nice outing paddling around the lake!  It's one of our favorite things to do.

Well...it's "up"...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 12:50:35 AM »
Quick, grab the bags of ready-mix!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »
well it's up in the air

https://youtu.be/nbbXKRUAJ0A

makenzie71

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »
I want to say getting the thing lifted was the hard part...but man it's 102 outside and I still have to dig a 40ft trench with a pickax :/

makenzie71

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
Possible 30+ mph gusts on the radar so I may go and plug it up to the batteries just to see how it does on the 36v bank.

makenzie71

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 09:06:10 PM »
Jeeze...I forgot to update this thread as I went along.

Output from the Heli has been...disappointing.  It has actually not managed to keep up with the i1500.   I've actually spent the last two months running them side by side and logging their output.  Of of last week the Heli had produced 80kwh and the i1500 had kicked out 93kwh.  I've got the series of videos tracking it on youtube for anyone interested in watching: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTrFLWc8ummINcYhKy8J4eRQrUhSi4fLm

(plus I need $8 worth of ad revenue to get paid this month lol)

The Heli is HUGE, though.  It has so much more potential just for the material in it.  But it can't keep up with even the i1500.  I feel this is because the blades they sent with the Heli are the same as the i1500, just in a 5-blade configuration.  Theoretically it should offer more torque, but I think overcoming the initial resistance is just too much for them.  The Heli has a hard time starting.  That's why it lags behind so much...the wind's only blowing 5mph right now and my i1500 is spinning making 20w.  It takes a 25mph gust to jump start the Heli.  Once the Heli is running it makes great power up to about 1500w, at which point it's tilting out of the wind...while the i1500 starts up in a rabbit fart and tanks everything nature throws at it.  The blades are not aggressive enough to get the thing turning in lighter wind, they're too slow once turning, and with there being five once they are turning it's too much of a sail and tilts out of the wind too early.

I've been talking to iSta Breeze about this and they just sent me a possible solution...new blades.  These blades are more like their Heli 4.0 blades but are shorter and tuned a little more for the smaller Heli 2.0.  I'm going to have a video up talking about them shortly, but I know you guys like pictures.  They look like ash core with 6mm fiberglass laid over.  They're going to make the rotor a touch over 8ft in diameter.  You can see them in comparison to what's already up there.

LARGE pictures though sorry/not sorry :D

makenzie71

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2021, 09:12:59 AM »
Video for the blades :D

https://youtu.be/W1T-xcUNBaQ

Now I just need to make a new friend who happens to own a bucket truck