Author Topic: Phantom loads  (Read 1979 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Phantom loads
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »
I recently eliminated my "always plugged in" grid apartment lighting (two 1.1 watt LED photocell controlled) and a Radio Shack plugin alarm clock. Using a Kill-A-Watt meter, the alarm clock uses 1 watt. My internet connection is direct 12v and off when not in use and I traded my desktop computer for a laptop (12v inverter runs the laptop adapter).

Now 1.1 watts times 2 for 14 hours a day plus 1 watt all the time doesn't sound like much, but here's the math.

1.1w x 2 x 14hr/day x 30 day/mo = 924 wh/mo The photocell must use some so round off to 1Kw-hr/mo for outside lighting.
The clock uses 1w x 24hr/day x 30 day/mo = 0.720 Kw/mo.

Between them all 1 3/4 Kw-hr/mo.

That may not seem like much but now consider the loads still on the grid. My eBike charger uses 1/7 Kw-hr to recharge after using battery power only to go about 5 miles (from home to the MickieD's at Sunset Strip and Univ Dr. and back). My Avanti compact washer uses 1/8 Kw-hr to run a full load for 45 minutes (cold water wash and double rinse plus spin dry).

The amount of energy my clock alone uses in the month would just about do 6 loads of wash or 5 trips for fast food.

The 2 lights would do another 8 loads of wash or 7 trips for fast food.

I actually do about 1 load of wash every 2 days because I work in a warehouse.

My meter also runs an irrigation pump when needed. It's 1 1/2 HP. That would run for an hour once a month on the phantom loads of an alarm clock and 2 one watt lights.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Phantom loads
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
yup they add up I use 1.5KwH a day and a big chunk of that is the modem-router-cellular amplifier.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Phantom loads
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
We got rid of the always showing plugin alarm for one that runs for 6 months on one AA battery.
I got the clock for free , supplier give away, THEN we found quickly how much light that plugin had. Since we have smartphones, if we need different alarm settings, we just use the alarm on those. They are charged via my small solar PV setup that goes to a NiCd battery bank built from recycled batt-packs.
It is interesting when you stop and look at what you can cut back on when you look a little closer at loads.
Good on you for getting rid of those! and the math on what you can use the savings for is an eye opener!
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard