Author Topic: Fake capacity batteries on eBay  (Read 4848 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Fake capacity batteries on eBay
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
I bought a Canon camera to replace one that failed after an alkaline battery leaked in it. The replacement camera gave me lots of trouble with batteries, claiming they needed to be replaced even when new and fresh. Turns out the battery door design on some Canon cameras was defective. Shimming mine up to keep the contacts tight was the fix.

While searching for an answer, I went searching eBay for rechargeable AA's, because alkalines were getting expensive. The 2 AA NiMH batteries that came with the camera were labelled 3000mah, which I knew was fake. I didn't call out the seller for it because it was a camera I was buying.

While searching eBay I came across lots of offers for 3000mah AA NiMH batteriers. There is no such thing and never was. The highest capacity AA's are about 2500mah and those are fragile. AA's with around 1500mah are a decent trade between capacity and recharge life.

eBay apparently doesn't care that their sellers scam people. To knowingly allow the sale of something that does not to exist is outright criminal, so I used a Target gift card I got at work and went retail shopping for rechargeable AA's. I got a pack of 4 1400mah Energizer AA NiMH for $10. Screw eBay.

There are several 'smart' AA/AAA tester/rechargers on the market. I have an AccuPower IQ-328 and tested the "3ah" AA's that came with the camera. Both came in about 575mah. That's right, less than 1/5 the rated capacity, but close to what I guessed, since they looked like generic solar path light cells, which are usually 600mah.

I'm testing the Energizers now and will post back their real capacity when the test is done.

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
Re: Fake capacity batteries on eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
It's interesting to see that people are re-labeling cells....

I have 4 2500mah NiMh AA's I have been used for several years now and I never thought them to be any less than 2500 mah.  They are the Energizer brand shown on the AA wiki page.  They get a good workout in my RC controller for my monster truck.

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
I just got some new in package NiMH D cells 4 for $1.50 at a flea maeket.  These are POWEREX and rated at 11,000mah.  Thought that was high but these were solid and heavy.  Many times they are AA cells stuck in a larger case.  Shocked that the list price for two was $39.95.  At the price I got them thay can be shy a few ma.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »
The Energizer brand tested just above 1400 for each, so they are exactly what the maker says.

The highest capacity PowerEx's are supposed to be 2700mah. That's pushing the envelope, but I own other PowerEx batteries so I believe the claim. To get the capacity up the electrolyte separator has to be made thinner. That usually leads to burn through or leakage that shortens the charge holding time. The lower capacity rechargeables like Eneloops will keep near a full charge for months.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerex-2700mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries-holder/dp/B0009H5VVM

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:33:31 PM by dnix71 »

RandomJoe

• Joe's Time-Waster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »
I have some of the 2700mAh Powerex cells.  Never did a capacity test on them, but yes - when new - they lasted a VERY LONG time compared to my other AAs.  Unfortunately they are also extremely delicate.  I don't abuse them, other than perhaps a *lack* of use, and found they self-discharge like crazy.  Now, 3-4 years on, they are also dropping like flies.  Just about every charge I find another one or two that won't hold a charge.

In contrast, I have eight Kodak-branded 1400mAh AAs that I got with my digital camera ages ago - 2001? - and they're still working fine!  Hold their charge a lot better when sitting idle too.  (Granted, I don't know what their actual capacity is right now, but still...)

Will definitely be going with the lower-capacity models next time...

tanner0441

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Hi

I needed a cordless drill quickly once while working away from home so I went to a tool fair that was being held locally and bought This green thing it drilled a few holes then  went flat, every time you charged it it only managed a few holes then went flat.  After I returned home I threw it to the back of my bench at work and left it. I was then asked if I would lend it to someone. The battery was flat, put it into the charger and it would not take a charge, so I stripped the battery down and soldered two wires to the terminals so it ran from the boat batteries.

Out of curiosity I cut one of the cells open, it felt very light and soft. Inside the C size case was a AA battery with paper wrapped round it to hold it central.  As a drill with flying leads it was good, stood lots of abuse and was happy running too hot to touch. The supplied battery on the other hand was crap and not worth the space it took up.

Though I never managed to burn the drill out it did succumb to being dropped in the marina. I just unclipped the leads from the boat battery and committed the whole thing to a watery grave.

Brian

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
I believe it is common practice, not fraud, to use AA-size cells inside C- or D- packages, since the capacity of an NiMH AA cell is comparable to a zinc-carbon C- or D- anyway.  But I may well be wrong.

And what was happening in your case sounds rather extreme.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social