Author Topic: Jacobs generator speed  (Read 3130 times)

kenobrock

Jacobs generator speed
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:08:59 AM »
At what rpm does a Jacobs 2,500 watt generator put out it's rated output?  It will be pulley driven at ground level by a large water pumping windmill that has been converted from a reciprocal power shaft to a rotary. Although the 14' diameter windmill has a rather slow rpm, it has a lot of torque that will allow the speed to be increased to pretty much whatever is needed using pulleys.
This will be used along with a solar system to charge a battery bank. The windmill has 24 blades on the wheel and will operate in a low wind.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Jacobs generator speed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/microhydro/message/741

using your info to google seems like it is 200-300rpm it puts the max out at.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

kenobrock

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
Thanks for going clear back to 1999 for that answer. That's about in the same ballpark as I was guessing.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
quite a beefy lil generator ya got there!  and no prob google is great but just have to be realy good at wording to not get over whelmed with crap hits
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:29:06 AM »
going from the rotary of a windmill to the reciprocal motion of the sucked rod was easy reverting back to rotary is a bit more involved than just connecting to a crankshaft mounted on some bearings with a flywheel..
  When I was a kid we had a windmill on our well and a motor driven pump jack for times when the wind didn't blow. the  shaft from the windmill had to be disconnected to  either run the hand pump or the motor on the pump jack otherwise it was impossible to get the fan to turn contra to this if the wind fan started to turn and the rod happened to be dog locked into the pump jack it would break the wooden shaft on the down stroke.
My dad came up with a ratcheting sprag type clutch and a gear rack to help prevent breakage if someone didn't disconnect or reconnect it properly also by doing this he was able to set things up so the motor could automatically start and pump water if the overhead storage tank got too low and there was no wind.
 Your wind mill can only produce usable power on the up stroke under normal conditions, something to think about   
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

kenobrock

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:15:46 AM »
You are right Frank. Some people think they can run a pump jack backwards and get rotary motion and I always tell them that it can't be done because it is geared the wrong way. I make the rotary conversion in the windmill gearbox. I take out the pitman arms and crosshead that converts the rotary motion of the big wheel to reciprocal for pumping and install a right angle drive driven by a roller chain driven by a sprocket attached to the side of one of the big gears. It's a pretty simple conversion. Here is a link to a page on my web site showing one of 5 that I did for Amoco Oil Company for operating oil skimmers. A rotating steel shaft comes down inside the tower to another right angle drive mounted at the ground level that turns a pto shaft. http://obrockwindmills.com/www.obrockwindmills.com/Extra_photos.html