Author Topic: MacBook Rechargeable batteries  (Read 2081 times)

TheEquineFencer

MacBook Rechargeable batteries
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:54:25 PM »
I was just over at a friends shop, he has box full of these batteries trademark dated 2006. He's had them for 2-4 years I know. Are they worth anything? 10.8V 55 Wh on the battery. Is there some way to charge them w/o a Mac and test them? 

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: MacBook Rechargeable batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »
What is the chemistry? If they are genuine Apple batteries, they retailed for about $130 new, but the generic replacements go for less than $25 new. There is no way other than a proper charge and resistor load test with a Turnigy to see what AH they really put out.

Real Apple batteries might still be usable after 7 years, but the generic stuff was hit or miss when it was new.

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
These are OEM batteries.

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:30 AM »
I've opened up some Apple battery packs and found the construction  more akin to a stick of gum.  No space was wasted on cases.  everyting was just wrapped in tape.and rather flexible.  Never found a use for them.

mab

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:07:37 AM »
they're some kind of Li ion battery I think and probably have a battery management system built in - might be useable if you can work out how the BMS works.

If they are OEM and never been used (i.e never had a 1st charge) then they may still be good. If it were me, I'd try and test one on a MAC, and if they're good, look at selling them and putting the money towards something else.

Larsmartinxt

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Never opened a MacBook
I have opened and replaced the cells in other laptop batteries

They are almost always Li-ion 18650 cells. with a bms.

What happens when they doesn't work anymore is that one or more cells get out of balance from the rest of the pack.
The bms then shuts down the battery rendering it useless to prevent cell-reversal that can lead to an explosion/fire.
The cells can be used.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:27:42 AM by Larsmartinxt »