Author Topic: NI-MTL battery charge controller  (Read 1939 times)

adobejoe

NI-MTL battery charge controller
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
Looking for recommendation of charge controller. 45 W panel output. 22VDC max, 10 A-H battery nickel metal (not LEAD acid). What is a good controller?

AdobeJoe

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: NI-MTL battery charge controller
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
What is the nominal voltage of the NiMH pack? That's what matters. A pack with 11 cells would have a nominal 13.2v which is as close to lead acid as you can get. Then any lead-acid controller would be usable. The final top voltage for NiMH is 1.45v/cell.

A 10-cell pack might go over volts on some controllers depending on where the final float was set.

A 13.2v pack could be charged to 14.8v, which is 1.34v/cell. That's pretty much the resting voltage for NiMH (1.35). 14.8v is not likely to trip overvoltage alarms on inverters. 15v might. I have a sine inverter that doesn't like 15. I have to set my float down when I using it in full sun and full batteries.

adobejoe

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:11 PM »
The battery pack is ten cells, each at 1.2 V. They must be in series, hence 12 VDC to run the load.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:37 PM »
If you only have 10 cells then you need a controller that has an adjustable float. "12v" is a nominal value. A "12v" lead acid battery is actually 12.6v to 13.0v at rest depending on the type. Flooded lead acid is normally 12.6, some of the special sealed starved electrolyte gel cels rest close to 13 volts. A flooded lead acid battery won't gas until about 14.2, a gel shouldn't be allowed to go that high unless the maker says it's okay. Gassing in a gel can ruin it.

Your pack really is 12.0v under a light load if it only has 10 cells. A flooded lead acid battery that had 12.0v under a light load would be stone cold dead and sulfating. Appliances and controllers for 12v nominal batteries usually assume lead acid chemistry, so they would think your pack is dead or near dead.

Your 10 cell pack could go to 14.5 if all the cells are balanced, but if they aren't you will trash the pack because sealed NiMH should never go above 1.45v per cell. It doesn't sound like you have a battery management chip on this stack to prevent overcharging. An 11 cell pack isn't as likely to trash a weak cell at 14.5v. 15.95v is the max for 11 cells. You could have a completely shorted cell in an 11 cell pack it would still stay under limits for the remaining cells if you held it to 14.5v.

Maybe GHurd could join us here. He has controller kits, I think. Those might work for you.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »
I agree.  Except the number in my head is 1.44Vmax/cell.  I try to keep them below that myself, usually 1.4V/cell.  I have been told they may not reach 100% charge, but I can live with 95% and the pack lasting longer.

Guessing the panel Imp is about 2.65A?  That certainly needs a controller on a 10AH pack.
I don't usually charge them that fast (mostly because the panels are smaller).  They climb up to about 1.30~1.35V and sit there soaking up power for a long time.  Then the voltage starts climbing again.

My kit would work.  It is adjustable to whatever voltage you decide.
For solar, can do it without a dump load (cheaper that way).
Example-
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,129703.0.html

The controller will have to be some kind of DIY, or fancy BMS.  Typical solar controllers are not suited to your application.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller