Author Topic: Propane generator, liquid offtake bottles and woodgas  (Read 7067 times)

fungus

Propane generator, liquid offtake bottles and woodgas
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
Well today we got a nice propane generator, link is below..
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/briggs-stratton-gas-powered-generator/1006377503#gallery-item-full-5
It'll be used for power tools, hopefully a welder and charging some big leisure batteries..
Just a few problems:
(In UK 240v is mains but 110v is used on construction sites for power tools for the lower risk of electric shock)
Didn't realise it was only 110v output! Need to get a transformer to convert it to 240v for normal electrical appliances, but the cheapest I can find on ebay is £75, although I can find a lot that are step-down transformers to run site tools for cheaper; Does anybody see any problems with just getting some 240 plugs and switching the ends round to work as a step-up transformer?
Also didn't realise that the gas bottles are 19kg liquid take-off bottles such as for forklifts and not just standard gas bottles. If I can find a supplier then this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but we can get a lot of the big 47kg (normal vapour takeoff)propane bottles for free so it'd be convenient if we could use them somehow.
Looking at the regulator it takes a high pressure liquid filled hose to the regulator, which seems to convert the liquid propane to vapour, yet when I prime it there seems to be a fine mist coming out of the air intake which more suggests a spray.. Could I simply take away the regulator and pipe in pre-regulated vapour straight into the carburetor or would that just not work at all?
Is it just too ridiculously dangerous to think of trying to fill the liquid takeoff bottles from the larger bottles?
Now in the future assuming everything else works fine I'd like to try and convert this to a woodgas generator, from the link below it seems to be a pretty good choice for a woodgas generator, assuming that the 3000rpm speed isn't too high..
http://wiki.gekgasifier.com/w/page/6123824/Summary%20of%20Genset%20Options%20for%20Wood%20Gas
Has anybody had any experience of making wood gasifiers and the relative ease/difficulty, and what special carburetor arrangements are needed?

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Propane generator, liquid offtake bottles and woodgas
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
Gusfunson... 

You need to get to the alternator generating assembly and get the data tag specs or make/model off it, and trace the output wiring - there may be two high amperage 110VAC outputs to the two larger sockets that are 220VAC split into two legs using neutral as return(s). The ratings tag on the complete assembly is only how they wired it to market it, not what the core components are capable of.

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »
You can run them off propane gas.  I run my fork lift off a standard gas grill tank. The reason they feed liquid is the chance to heat the gas.  Under certain conditions the surface area of a tank won't evaporate enough liquid.

fungus

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
Opera, figured that'd probably be the case, did the standard regulator work fine (If so was it pre-regulated with a gas stove reg) or did you just plumb it straight to the carburetor?
Interesting idea dang .. it seems like it could be possible, but it might end up being 220v instead of 240, shouldn't matter too much since mostly will be running power tools and welder and anything else should have a universal transformer..
Been looking around but can't find any tech manuals, details are as follows..
MARKON engineering Type SC21 C 5.0kva 3ph 50hz 3000rpm 8 p.t. (?)
110/63.5V (?) 26.2A STAR
Then it has the space for A/V for charging and excitation but nothing stamped ..
Insulation F.
It has one 16A/110v 1ph socket, two 32A 110v sockets and one 32A 3ph socket ..
So if it's just a simple star setup then sounds like I couldn't convert it to 220 without going to the individual coils, but since it has the single phase outputs too (and I'm assuming it wouldn't be run out of balance between the phases ?),there's switches on all the outputs and the 63.5v thing then it might be a bit more complicated/workable.
Tbh if it meant going to the hassle of rewinding the whole generator I'd rather get a transformer ..
Any ideas?

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
wow! fungus !
hope your well .
are you still at the protest camp?
check out idle no more here in Canada

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
For the 3-phase and 110V I see 208V is possible? That 32A output - Balancing the alternator output is key to efficiency, example is using 220 versus only using 110 from half the 220 windings.

There are some old google searches from eBay auctions where the vendor says they have the full manual set on PDF - past that I'm not finding anything.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6 <--- has posts using the MARKON  SC21 alternator on old diesel engines.  Posting your questions on there might get the results you need.

stratford4528

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »
To get 230 volt use a tool transformer in reverse. I have done it many times It might be down to 210volts depending on the transformer. With  your gas bottle you can turn it upside down to get your liquid. The forklift bottles have a bent pipe inside which is why they have an arrow on them

just-doug

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
the diference between vapor with drawl and liquid with drawl,is the liquid withdrawl has apick-up tube going to the bottom of the tank.in the usa i have let all the pressure out of a overfill protected tank,un screwed the gas valve,unscrewed the opd pick-up tube,with is short,and screwed in apiece of 1/8 pipe to the bottom.easy conversion to liquid withdrawl.getting the brass gas valve out ,without desroying it is the difficult part.