Author Topic: What made is my steam engine?  (Read 6877 times)

Menelaos

What made is my steam engine?
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
Hi there,

This week I bought a steam engine. It was offered to me and I could not resist.
Unfortunaterly I don't know the brand of that machine and maybe one of you will recognize it or has an idea of where it was manufactured it in those days.
It is an old marine double acting 2 cylinder steam engine which was built around 1900. For about 20 years it was exhibited in a museum somewhere in sweden but I do not have more information on this.
We calculated the machine to have around 20-30 KW of power at around 250 RPM and 150 PSI.

The machine has about the following dimensions: 1100mmX800mmX1450mm.
The cylinders have 120mm und 250mm diamter and the pistons stroke is 170mm.
It has 2 plunger pumps and a simple stephenson governance.

Here are some pictures...any ideasof where it was made and by whom? - I suspect somewhere in sweden...

[/img]

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: What made is my steam engine?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
if only we saw a fraction of a decimal of that kind of quality and beauty now days in our machinery!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

kenneth keen

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
You are asking what make is this machine?

Also die jungs haben keine ahnung hier, das gibts noch nicht in wunderland!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »
What does it say here?

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
There should be a name on the popoff valve and numbers for usage and find what they would be used on. Go to the liberary and locate manufatures of small steam engines. Are you sure where it is from. might be german made. Good luck would be nice to play with and make it usable to make power with. 13
MntMnROY 13

Harold in CR

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

It's been years since I saw a similar engine. It's not necessarily a 2 cylinder, but, a compound steam engine. One cylinder pushes the compressed steam into a second cylinder to gain more pressure or compression.

Might try searching under "compound Steam Engine."

Menelaos

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I have a guy in sweden sow doing some research... the museum in which that engine was exhibited for years does not exist anymore...hopefully I can still get some information on it...
It is really beautiful... :-)

I am currently designing a boiler for it but I fear that it will burst my budget...

Max

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
beautiful. i love those long brass oilier cups for the journals.

Menelaos

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 07:02:54 PM »
yes, this one is particulary beautiful, I agree :-)
The letters on the linnet valve only say start, medium and stop for the amount of steam if you translate it...nothing that helps for identification :-(

Here a picture again that demonstrates the dimensions...quite a monster :-)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:20:14 PM by Menelaos »

bob golding

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:14:57 AM »
is she  saying "and no it is is NOT going in the living room" ?
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:20:56 AM »

My wife would just tell me OK buster you know if you bring that thing into the house and it gets oil on the carpet you will have to clean it up. But she likes old machines like that
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Menelaos

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:32 AM »

It is funny you mention that. She was actually the one that suggested putting it inside the apartment after cleaning as it looks so nice and would make a nice whatever... ^^
She would probably turn it into a bar table :-D

I live in the second floor with wooden ceiling. Except the fact that it is impossible to move it there it would probably end up on my neighbours dining table with a big boom and continue its way down ending up in my workshop in the basement...
It was probably easier to put it there without that expensive detour ;-)

Anyway, I quite underestimated the cost of building a proper boiler that will get approved by the "TÃœV".
That would probably cost me something like 20.000 $ which is way out of my budget.

So in the end I will probably do some maintenance on the machine, replace some lost parts, polish it and then get it running.

By the end of this year, my friends boiler for his steam boat will be finished. It is constructed to fit a 15 Hp engine but I guess it will be ok to get my machine started for some tests and to see it runnning once :-)

I would really like to have it working for whatever purpose but if the price is ok, I will probably sell it again and look for something quite smaller to play with...

Max
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:18:14 AM by Menelaos »

SteveCH

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
That is one beautiful piece of machinery, congratulations. Keep us posted.

kevbo

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »
Nice! Thank heavens nobody ever offered me such a thing.  I'd have to have it. I'd have to make it run.  It would be my ruin.

Menelaos

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 02:59:11 PM »
thats exactly what happens to me...
I definitively did underestimate the costs for a boiler that is approved by the GL.

For a propper safe one with certificate we are talking about $15.000 plus...too much for a toy...
So I will probably sell it again when I get a fair offer. Had it runnning on air now- impressive it is :-)

Menelaos

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »
As I am lacking time and other projects consume too much time, This baby is for sale now...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dampfmaschine-um-1900-schwedische-Schiffsdampfmaschine-fur-Dampfboot-25-30-PS-/121103034128?pt=Antikspielzeug&hash=item1c324da710

I hope to give it away in good hands to people with enough time to build a boiler for it...

Max