Author Topic: VAWTs in tandem...  (Read 3497 times)

mofishin

VAWTs in tandem...
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
Total NOOB here, clueless but have some engineering and other skills.... just none involving electricity! 

I have an idea that I am sure someone has tried, will it work?  I guess I know that it will work, but will it be effective? I
have googled and found nothing on the first idea:

Build a stacked set of VAWTs,  like these: (But inside square cages)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTEm8Z9-k1-hK0eM8c6zMEzqG9rLQaXgomhndrTtoKTTyK_e7oKg

(thanks to whosever pic I used)

The difference is that I want to build several of these units inside square towers made of light ga. tubing, and have the towers all beside each other, literally welded together.  Then, assuming each tower is approx 5'x5'w and ?' tall, the shafts will be also on 5' centers,  I can double pulley the output shafts at the top, and link them all together with v-belts, placing the generator on the final unit.  My thought is that I can generate quite a bit of torque in this way, while keeping it all on the ground.  I have a lake in the front yard, whose dam is about 200m long, and a nice breeze is always coming down the valley.   

The other idea that I had, and, surprisingly I found one googling, is a VAWT that is pretty good sized.  I have an 8' diameter light steel
"wheel" that originally was a spool for natural gas line, sold to the scrap yard when the nat gas people came through town installing lines.  It's dimensions are very close to being able to cut up 55 gal drums into quarters and stand them up inside.  I wish now that I had bought all they had, but as it was I only got this one, and originally picked it up (for 18.00) to use as an 8' overshot water wheel.  Didnt pause to think I would ever need more than one.  Oh well.  Here is the pic I found: (Thanks, Chinese guys)

http://cctvcamerachina.en.made-in-china.com/productimage/qehmDdjMpvVN-2f0j00BsaTSijtgUcq/China-700kw-Vertical-Axis-Wind-Generator-FC-700KW-.html

I don't know which one to tackle first.... what do you who are in the know think?

mofishin   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:36:41 PM by mofishin »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: VAWTs in tandem...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »
i recall on the old board someone using sections of scaffolding as a support for savonius type mills.

GoVertical

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:37:14 AM »
What do you plan to use for a PMA???
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

mofishin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
What do you plan to use for a PMA???

Good idea, too, because I happen to have 3 sets of 5' masonry bucks!  They would be perfect turned up on edge!

GoVertical,
 Im really not sure.  I have a couple options at the moment without spending more money.  One is a 90vdc motor that easily
makes 120v, I bought several of them cheap a few years ago at a scrapyard, castoffs from a military contractor that builds vehicles i am pretty sure.
The other is a 3kw generator that is new but has a bad motor that I picked up for free, so there is the 12v wiring already included on that one, as well as the gauge panel.  I don't know if I can generate enough torque to turn the thing though.

I have also considered building one, but just getting the drive mechanism going is enough to keep me occupied for now, time and money wise.

GoVertical

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »
http://usvawt.com/cgi/windpower.cgi?h=7;hunit=0.3048;d=4;dunit=0.3048;Calculate=Calculate

Hi, this link will basically tell you how much power can be generated for a set blade size at different windspeeds.

Try testing the generator using a hand crank to have some idea what RPM will be needed. Adding a power conversion circuit; MPPT ;
to increase your output and prevent the VAWT from stalling. I look forward to your results.
SEMPER FEROX

mofishin

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
Thanks for that, GoVertical, but not sure how to apply it to something like this....

Found this on youtube, from the user "froelichwind". He has some other vids that pretty much explain everything about construction  in detail.  I have the tubing spool already.  It looks pretty good to me! 

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LTc7KkHOucU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GoVertical

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:42:27 AM »

Hi, this is good video that explain why a MPPT controller is needed. The names and hardware used is not important. The info at given at about 1 min. 20 sec. is good stuff to know.  Steve at windgen.org is working on a new version. It is a VAWT forum. I am working on the control circuity to operate multiple VAWTs in parallel. I am using a modified F&P for the PMA with a 1 to 3 gear drive. I completed the VAWT design and I am using Coroplast for the blades. It is safe, low cost, and easy to fabricate. Thanks for posting the video.

Remember: blade size and wind speed determine the power output

the PMA will determine the blade style to be used, drag or lift

if the PMA has a high internal stator resistance a MPPT controller is needed

I hope this helps

SEMPER FEROX

GoVertical

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »

Hi, this is a video of my project. It shows a large mast bearing for added stability. My other videos may help with some other ideas.
SEMPER FEROX