Author Topic: bad case of designers block!  (Read 2647 times)

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
bad case of designers block!
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
I am in the hard ware assembly stage of making a tracker, I have a 90 degree worm drive off one of those disability scooters, very powerful motor, but where I seem to be unable to pick a method of connecting it, and then how to do the final thrust berring for the azimuth support.

So can we get some pics of how you did the berring system for the mast rotor?

I am thinking chain will be the easiest way to couple the motor to the main suport shaft, and welding say 10 bike sprockets back to back will over some major safety factor and more then enough strength to handle any winds that get thrown at it

For the thrust berring one thought was use an old wheel hub but I am cuatious about that as it will be holding a few $k in panel!  so I need to see some images of how others have don it to draw some conclusions!

Thanks in advance! will post detailed pics of this project when don!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: bad case of designers block!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
for that low speed of a bearing pipe on pipe works fine.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
well I been using pvc as a wear bushing but the studs that it rides on there has been noticable wear, so I want to avoid that wear point, ironicaly the pvc wear bushing has don precious little wearing!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Gary

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »
Not following exactly but we have all seen what appears to be a rubber seal wearing a steel shaft.  It's really harder-than-steel grit getting embedded in the rubber and wearing the shaft.  Likely what you have seen with your PVC bushing.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »
Nope, no wear on the inner diameter of the pole either, the load is so well spread it isn't wearing, all the load is on the upper studs that the array rides on.

The Azmith spindle is even more critical as I am in a high wind environment now.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
I have 1kw worth of panels inbound and am thinking about just making the array to have 2 positions a morning and afternoon the array size for the panels is about 9ft by 9ft give or take a couple inches.
 my thinking is to avoid having the array pointing directly at the sun during the highest heat of the day say sunrise to 2PM maybe 10 to 15 degrees east and 2PM to sundown 10 to 15 degrees west I'm at 32.52 latitude. that actual degree will have to be worked out after things are set up.

For my way of thinking and I could be wrong is that the gains in wattage from facing directly into the sun would be lost due to overheating.
 if my theory is correct then instead of tracking I will only need a simple single movement of the servo actuator operated by a  programmable mechanical timer
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »
Not really you do want them to face dead on just the way they work, got the strong back made and the latitude actuater on it, still strugling with the azumith drive end of it.

I redesigned the array to hold 6 kyroshera 245w pannels will snap some picks of it in the morning.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:21:50 AM »
Most of us are not Designers by any means . But I would say 99% of the folks on this board get the info they need and share with
others . Just trial and error with good success rate . This would account for the success of these boards . The Tracking is a fun part of solar setups . I'll look a t Homey's inventory sound good .

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
I am no engineer or professional designer, but when it will be holding a couple thousands worth of pannels I crunch the numbers and dot the I's.

Found the cammera pictures to come soon! still haven't got the slew system figured!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:48:00 AM by XeonPony »