Author Topic: solar panels not hooked up to anything  (Read 3346 times)

sunbelt57

solar panels not hooked up to anything
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
Is there any harm in installing my solar panels before installing the equipment and batteries? Should I put some kind of resistor between the leads? Or should I make this my last step after installing the batteries and equipment?

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: solar panels not hooked up to anything
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »
last step, never wise to have live wires dangling about!

Depending on how big it is my methode may work for you, I assemble every thing starting from the charge controler, I work my way out to the batteries, hook all that up, verify all my wiring, then close the breaker, programe charge controler.

wire my way out to the pannels, then wait till dusk then wire all my pannels up and conect/ leave breaker open till morning. Morning I check all my wiring all my connections and then toss on the breaker and smile as you tell the utilities to sod off and give em a 1 finger salute!

and then I check the whole system a third time to be sure of it

let the bank charge up with no loads, then do an equilize to innitialize the bank, then take sp measurments and such and off ya go.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

dbcollen

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:17:50 AM »
The real answer to your quettion is, no it will not harm the panels to put them up before connecting them to anything.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 08:49:39 AM »
well my answer was indeed real, just off target, was near brain dead at that point.

Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

sunbelt57

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
last step, never wise to have live wires dangling about!

Depending on how big it is my methode may work for you, I assemble every thing starting from the charge controler, I work my way out to the batteries, hook all that up, verify all my wiring, then close the breaker, programe charge controler.

wire my way out to the pannels, then wait till dusk then wire all my pannels up and conect/ leave breaker open till morning. Morning I check all my wiring all my connections and then toss on the breaker and smile as you tell the utilities to sod off and give em a 1 finger salute!

and then I check the whole system a third time to be sure of it

let the bank charge up with no loads, then do an equilize to innitialize the bank, then take sp measurments and such and off ya go.
Thanks XenoPony, that's good to know.