Author Topic: what angle is best?  (Read 2353 times)

copperhead1971

what angle is best?
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »
what angle is best for solar panels at 43.025556,-81.277778 log and lat just NNE of Detroit MI... thanks for any replies 

bart

Re: what angle is best?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
    Put "determine solar panel position" in a google search and pick your flavor.

gww

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:13:40 AM »
Go to the web site "PV watts" and enter several angles and compare the differances.
gww

XOKE

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:53:18 AM »
Hi,

check this site

http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html

regards

Xoke

copperhead1971

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »
thanks for the info , the only one that I couldn't get to work was the "pvwatts" ...
The solar calculator was the easiest , but the Optimum Tilt of Solar Panels was a good read too.
Thanks again...

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »
Dam all this time all I used was a multimeter and my hand, I tell you all these high tech gadgets going to wreck the brain! lol
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

hydrosun

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
On grid or off grid. If off grid you may want to optimize for winter when the output is lowest and demand for power for inside activities is highest. If you are on grid you may optimize for summer when there are the most cloudless  and longest days to get the most yearly power. If you have trees to the east and west you may tilt closer to the suns angle at noon instead of the shallower angle if you get sun from the sides.
So you take the optimal angles from the charts and adjust for your site and usage. Most of the time it only makes a small percentage difference.
Chris

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
43.025556 as a compromise between winter/summer.