Author Topic: Hello from Ireland.  (Read 2877 times)

ray kelly

Hello from Ireland.
« on: April 21, 2013, 06:52:48 AM »
Hello..I've been a member here for while and have been doing a lot of reading over the last while and it's great to see the amount of information posted on here available to look though for free.

So a bit about myself, I'm currently completing a degree in Electrical/Control engineering. Oh great I hear you say..another person all theory quoting electrical knowledge learned from  a textbook! One advantage is having access to a library of nice expensive books on wind turbine design.
Before that I completed a four year electrical apprenticeship and following that worked on wind turbine repair and service. What I learned from that was even with a huge amount of R and D gone in to a multi MW turbine, they still break down a lot and that alot of the time what looks great/works out perfect on paper fails miserably in the real world.

I intend to have ago at building a turbine this summer, Due to cost reasons it's probably going to be a ferrite magnet geared turbine. With the output used for water heating
I'm lucky to have an isolated open site with an average windspeed of around 8m/s.

I also intend next year to do a project on a PLC based system for the speed control of a small turbine using electrical loading.

I look forward to asking a lot of questions and sharing pictures of my build over the next few years.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Hello from Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:45 AM »
Welcome!

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”

― Albert Einstein

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
fáilte roimh

GoVertical

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
Hi, I have a lot of questions for you. I am working a multiple parallel VAWT project. The problem I am trying to solve is over voltage. I am using a buck converter to limit the effects of reverse EMF that is produced by the permanent magnet alternator and stalls the turbine. At high wind speeds the input  voltage exceeds the open voltage limit of the power converter and damages the buck converter. Do you have any ideas that will solve this problem.
Please check out windgen.org, we can use your help:)

Thank you for any help received.
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
welcome aboard! 

we're an odd bunch with a very diverse skill set. 

with your background, i'm sure you'll be able to chime in on many posts with actual real world experience. 

one thing that isn't highly looked upon here is "armchair engineering". 

adam

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:39 AM »
Oh whew!  It will be nice to have another engineer on here.  The burden on poor old me alone has been such a weight to bear  :]

Sounds like you've already had your first class in the KISS principle.  Excellent place to take the first step.

Lucky you for the good wind location!  Have you decided what diameter (of blades) you'd like to start with? 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

rickysmartz

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »
Hi Ray,

Nice to see someone else in Ireland interested in these machines. Im a WT builder based in Wicklow, where are you?

Regards
Richard

www.fluxy.ie