Author Topic: !6 kw induction motor  (Read 2512 times)

mikeh935

!6 kw induction motor
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
Hello again, I posted in "The Pub " by mistake yesterday and received a lovely response from Sparweb. He asked me to elaborate on my past work. As I said I built a two bladed wind generator about 30 years ago. The turbine was made from a plank of Spruce 10.5 feet long.I made it to a design in Mother Earth News, a small book I picked up some where. It had a Clark Y foil and it took about a week to make using a saw, plane and chisels. The  24 volt generator was from an old truck and it run on chains at 6 to 1 ratio. There was no governer and in a south westerly it sounded very much like a helicopter but it worked until I sold it on when I moved house . About 10 years ago I  got a 3 hp 1430 rpm (50 hz in Ireland) motor and I machined 8 slots in the rotor for  neo magnets I think they are N45's,  at 1200 rpm it reads 270 volts between phases. I did this for an experiment. Anyway having got a 16 kw 2 pole induction motor for free  I decided to try something similar. So I have removed the the two pole winding and I would like to rewind to 12 pole.I have been checking out sites to find out more  and a 2 layer  lap winding seems to be the easiest to do with my means.  Spar web sugested taking the laminations and skewing them to avoid cogging. I am planning to machine the rotor at an angle to avoid this. The rotor hub  itself is a machined part  with 3 stubs at 120 degrees apart to hold the blade hubs. I will add some photos of the machining and the assembled parts thus far when I figure out how to post them, At 57 years   computers are a little daunting .

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: !6 kw induction motor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:03:49 AM »
Some links to a number of induction motor conversion projects have been collected here: How do I convert an Induction Motor into a Generator?

I have also found that the electric vehicle projects can be inspiring for this too.  Try some of these:
Australian EV Ass'n
EV Discussion List
Endless Sphere

I've been following project topics like this one recently:  Topic: AC electric motor rewinding for EV use

Oops I'm about to get side-tracked on EV's.  I bring it up because the techniques and tools are the same.  The objective is different of course so let it inspire you rather than guide you.  Back to converting the motor you have:  Joestue added a comment to the other thread about extra iron in the 50Hz motor which confirmed one of my suspicions.  Anyway it sounds like you've already cut the wire out of the stator, and this is the right time to be assessing the state of the motor at hand. 
I can help with the photos, though I'm not an administrator; I get by with friendly advice  :)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca