Author Topic: 0.75kw engine to generator convertion. SEIMEC  (Read 4478 times)

MrNorway

0.75kw engine to generator convertion. SEIMEC
« on: May 05, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »
<<I made this post in another forum, but got little response. So ill post it here as it seems you guys know what your talking about ;)>>

Hi everyone. I have tried for a long time to make myself a windmill with little sucsess. Most of my projects i have given up as off loss of confidence or the fact that magnets cost ALOT in norway.  (Probably 5 times as much as in USA) But i am yet to give up my quest for green power.

So about a week ago a friend gave me a SEIMEC italian motor that came off an industrial machine. And i belive that this could be a great project to start on, as all i miss now is the magnets(in theory) Can you guys verify this for me tho?

The plate say the following: TIPO HF: 80/A2, CAV. 1, Kw 0.75, GIRI 2780, SERV. C, POLI 2, Hz 50, % 75, COS 087, Fase 1 is 220v, 2.9 A, second fase is 380V, 1.7A. I have no idea what this means, but im sure some of you have some idea. Anything i need to know?

-----------------------------------------------

I't weights about 5-6 kilos, 10-12 pounds.

So my big question is:
A: Will this make for a great low to medium rpm windmill?
B: What sort of magnets and how many would you recomend for this build for a decent output, And what output would you expect off this if you did the job.
C: What size blades should i make for it to operate decently, and shoule i make them from PVC or should i go for fiberglass wing shaped blades.

Well thats a mouthfull of question for you guys, hope i get some awnsers in here :D

Lots of love from Norway ![/QUOTE]

Ps: I have read up on ALOT of great information that would be simelar to this project. So i dont feel as much newbie as i did a week ago. This is a great forum!In fact, my engine looks alot like this project: http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,129311.0.html  Am i correct?

Anyways, im exited to se what you guys think.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 0.75kw engine to generator convertion. SEIMEC
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »
I am sure the motor conversion experts will be able to help you.

I am certain you can make something of it, but don't expect too much. It is 2 pole which is far from ideal and really 0.75kW is small. I would guess that it may be some sort of match for a prop about 6ft diameter. If you are in a good wind area it may well produce something worthwhile. You are unlikely to find suitable shape magnets for a 2 pole rotor so you will most likely have to use lots of small ones to build up the pole area and find some way to stick them together with large repulsion forces or build an aluminium or fibreglass cage with round magnets in holes.  Always seems a lot of work to me but many have done it.

Flux

MrNorway

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:15:40 AM »
2 pole as in i only need 4 magnets?

im not really hoping to get off the grid or anything, rather getting the experience of finishing a project =)

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »
The ideal magnets would be of the correct curvature and each pole would occupy about 1/3 of the circumference, the 2 poles would occupy about 2/3 and the rest would be gap between them.

You will most likely need more than 2 magnets to cover a pole arc of 1/3 circumference with a decent approximation to the circle.

Zubbly was the master of these motor conversions and somewhere on here there ought to be all his information. His preferred method was to use round magnets, with enough to cover the pole arc reasonably well and to use a cage to keep them in place ( there is a lot of repulsion force between the individual magnets making up one pole.)

I was hoping someone would link you to this information, there have been various people who have posted on motor conversions, but I haven't seen much lately.

I would guess that if you do this with rectangular magnets you will need between 4 and 6 to make each pole. That would be a total of 8 to 12 small magnets about 3/8" thick. It's not a great deal of magnet material, you will have to find the most cost effective magnets to use, common sizes are far cheaper than less common ones..

For now try searching Zubbly and motor conversion, if I find anything I will link you to it.

Flux

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus