Author Topic: Xantrex Xanbus remote panel  (Read 9196 times)

OperaHouse

Xantrex Xanbus remote panel
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »
I've been looking at Xantrex converters and like the lost dryer sock the remote panels seem to get lost when they come up for sale.  The remote panels cost about as much as the inverters.  Looking for a generic $14.95 canbus solution just to get raw data fault codes.  This will have to work with multiple models. Anyone found a site with this data?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Xantrex Xanbus remote panel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:32:19 AM »
...The remote panels cost about as much as the inverters. [/quote]

If what you're looking for is a Xantrex remote panel, I got a spare panel with my SW4024 unit.  I'd be very happy to sell it to you , if you want to pay about as much as I paid for my inverter.  Or would you prefer the $14.95 option?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:38:56 AM »
You're looking at what?  One of these?

Or one of these?

The former is for the XW.  The latter one is for the SW Plus.  But neither one costs as much as the inverter.  IIRC the SCP for our XW was about $250 bucks and the inverter was $4,000 bucks.  The one for the SW Plus is about the same price as the XW-SCP (if you can find one anymore).
--
Chris

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
I'm suprised they don't have an iPad or Android app for that. Our church's Roland mixer can be accessed by either in wireless networking.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
You can put a Schneider Conext ComBox on it - works with SW, XW and GT systems:
http://www.schneider-electric.com/products/ww/en/7000-solar-off-grid-and-back-up/7030-monitoring/62089-conext-combox/
--
Chris

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
... Or one of these:

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot the skill-testing quiz question:

What is printed in tiny letters at the bottom left?

(Hint: it's a name from a movie)
www.sparweb.ca

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »
The SW Series II used to say HAL 9000 on the control panel

--
Chris

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »
What are you doing Dave? Dave;I'm afraid, will I dream?
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 11:13:54 PM »
They don't even put control panels in inverters anymore.  All the XW has is an information panel on it that shows what mode it's in, and a LCD display that shows load or battery charging amps

The Xanbus cables look like ethernet, and they are ethernet cables.  But the Xanbus protocol is not ethernet.  And you have a network terminator at both ends of the Xanbus network.  This was our first setup:

Then we got a SW Plus 5548 and that went to North Carolina:

This new beast we got is heavier than all of them - and more efficient.  I've measured the power efficiency of the XW6048 at 97% at light loads of 300-500 watts.  The best the SW Plus could do at that loading was around 80% and it reached its peak efficiency of about 92% at 1,100-1,200 watts load

--
Chris

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »
Chris it is amazing how busy a service panel gets when the system reaches the size you have.
 Are those 12 ga shells part of the system.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
Yes.  They improve our ODDS (Obama Drone Defense System) by providing redundancy for quick reload of the Mossberg 500 in case we have to shoot down more than 7 drones to defend our powerplant.
--
Chris

OperaHouse

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Obviously, we don't shop at the same places.  Sounds like retail.

I was looking for some hack with a CAN-USB ltke the Lenox Powerdashboard.  Though from reading some forums this is a listen in and requires a remote panel.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
We supported the local guy that's been a Xantrex dealer for 21 years and paid more for on-site service by an experienced dealer in the event we ever need it.  You can buy online for cheaper, but then you're stuck with handling any warranty issues (or even looking for a CAN-USB interface) online too, instead of being able to call up the dealer and say, "I want......"

I saw (at the local dealer) a beta Schneider ComBox in action.  It's pretty slick.  The XW Communications Gateway has been discontinued.  The ComBox will be coming out in July and we're getting one for our system.

What inverter you got?
--
Chris

OperaHouse

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
I don't have any Xantrex inverters at this time.  Don't really have a practical need for one at this time but would like to go 24V in the future so a 24V Prosine 3.0 would be cost effective.  These are about the price of a control panel. In about two weeks I move to camp for the summer.  Given how busy I am right now purchasing a bunch of inverters is on the back burner.  After loonie posted his problems with the SW4024 I started researching inverter repair and it looks like it could be a little cottage industry for me.  Intend on buying a half dozen dead sine wave inverters and build up some documentation on them.  Harbor Freight type inverters can be fixed with your eyes closed.  They tend to have the same power related failures as the designs are marginal based on statistics that most will get out of warrantee.  Better designed electronics have as many random part failures as those power related.  They are as likely to think they have a problem as have a real power circuit problem.  So something to read fault codes would be nice.  Looks like I'll just have to buy a number of panels and decode them.  At least there is always a ready market for them when I'm finished.   CAN-USB adaptors are about $20.