Author Topic: Listeroid Diesel  (Read 5665 times)

ruddycrazy

Listeroid Diesel
« on: May 18, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
G'day Guy's,
                   Well with the change of jobs and throwing away my trade I'm finally in a position to have some spare $$$$ to use for our RE array. I have found a good source for a listeroid diesel and I'll go for a 10hp one, now for the genhead part I'm still deciding.

The main point if this project is for charging my 1000AH traction pack and I can get a Leece-Neville 24 volt DC alternator for about $350. @ 1500 rpm this will deliver about 160 amps and is the cheaper option. Or I can go for a Yanan Mindong SLG164A brushless alternator for a tad under a grand. This unit will output 140 Volt AC and between 3.5-5Kw and just power my Staff & Sandbury 80 amp traction charger.

Now I have read in the past that one can just use a bog standard 3 phase motor, over rev it, use some caps and turn it into an alternator. I do have an 11Kw 3 phase motor here I got off that rotary screw compressor I scored for free.

I'm starting a new job tomorrow and should finish it with 2-3 weeks then I'll have the $$$$ to buy the engine so all options on the genhead part are still up in the air at this stage.

Cheers Bryan

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Listeroid Diesel
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »
I'm not sure how familiar you are with the care and feeding of the listeroid but the first order of business is to completely tear it apart and carefully remove every trace of casting sand left in it in India, I have never seen one that didn't have a coffee cup or so of sand left in it.
They need to be hot tanked to remove all the "Paint" and "grease" and then gone over every nook and cranny to remove the sand.
Or you will have a very short lived engine.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

phil b

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
Surely you have 2 pulleys,a belt and a capacitor lying around you could test the 11Kw 3 phase motor with. I'd try to cheapest option first. The lister would be 10 hp = 7,640 watts and it might work if you don't push it too hard.
Phil

ruddycrazy

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
Hi Fab,
           These listeroids come untested unpainted and with a full write up on the procedure of stripping the engine and rebuilding which would give me the best understanding of the engine. It also comes with a heap of spare parts like piston rings, big end bearing gaskets etc. Not the beauty of these engines is they can run of just about anything but bang for buck it will be interesting to see just how long a 200 litre of diesel will last. I do know of a few guys over here doing biodiesel too and selling for a $1 a litre or less depending on mateship.

I reckon I may go with the Leece-Naville DC genhead and use that for now primarily for charging the 1000AH bank. My mate who 20 years ago used to set up listers in the NT outbank said today he would have to remember how he did it and we'll setup and auto start system with a heavyduty DC switch over contact setup between banks.

We have been off the grid for 10 years now and I have learnt a heap and with this new setup it will see us out and we'll have more power then we need. My missus said with that big payout she'll get of govt in a few weeks she'll buy a Kw or 2 of PV to add to our array and down the track I may get another 1000AH bank and go 48 volts as our 2400 watt selectronic inverter has been going 10 years strong and one can't know when it will give out. For insurance I do have a 3Kw inverter that powers my machineshop and at a crux it can come down and power the house.

Over the next 2 weeks I'm going to get a heap more info on other peoples setups and I already have several pic's of other setups. One setup uses a 10hp motor with the DC alternator which powers a 24 inverter and runs 24/7 as the family save up for batteries.

I'll will use this thread as a blog for my setup and it does give me motivation on this job I start tomorrow, 2 side by side bathrooms and a toilet fully repaired and sprayed which will earn me a tad over 6K and my goal is to get it done in 2 weeks.

Todays jobbie is forming up the new power house slab and as we have a few sacks of wool I reckon it will be the best insulation as I do want this new power setup to silent as best we can and as my missus and I are getting on make this system as low maintenance as we can and keep the batteries in top range all of time.

Also after trying 3 new thermostats on our 24 volt DC fridge without success that said fridge is going up to my shed to be used as a dumpload and shed beer fridge and I got a loan of a energy efficient 240 AC one to trial out. with having this new charging regime I can't see why we can't just use a 240 Volt energy efficient fridge and have instant ice to go with moonshine I make ( that another blog).

Cheers Bryan

ruddycrazy

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
G'day Guy's,
                   Well I have said I'm hooked and the info just keeps coming, the link to the Ozzie seller is
http://www.ozlisteroids.com/engines.html and I did ask Stephen first before posting the link, now on his reply he did send a few you-tube clips relating to my questions but this forum doesn'r seem to have a you-tube embed link so here are the links

A 10 hp Listeriod starting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgzLlBKA_3g

Some Irish guys making a CS lister quiet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2682AwYJ7w

And on my Q about auto-start a guy that did it using compressed air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qUBszEA74

Anyway guys more to come and I got told to hold off on my shed as dimensions are to come etc....

Cheers Bryan

ruddycrazy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:22:07 AM »
Just a note to the mod's could you please move this thread to the diary section as I do feel I did this thread in the wrong section of the forum.

Regards Bryan

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »
Here was mine with an air starter.
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/fabricator01/media/MOV01395.mp4.html
I ran it on straight filtered and dried waste veg oil. a good muffler is to run the exhaust under ground through perforated PVC pipe for about 40 feet.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »
Here is a pic of the 24v delco heavy duty alternator charging my batteries.
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/fabricator01/media/MOV01367.mp4.html

ruddycrazy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:39 AM »
G'day Guy's,
                    Well a bit of an update finally got back to Stephen and soon I'll have the invoice for the 10/1, my 7Kva Honda genset is in getting fixed and I'm arranged to flog it off for a decent price and that will pay for a good part of the invoice. The bathroom I'm starting tomorrow will take care of the balance so in about 3 weeks the engine will be on the way here.

I'm just getting the engine for now along with the full mod kit for it like fuel fliter, thermostat etc and as I'm so busy it will take some time to do the full strip and commissioning of the engine. also I need to make the new engine shed right behind the new shed beside the house and plumb in the exhaust pipe so it will run silent.

More to come in the next few weeks

Cheers Bryan

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
i am a bit late to this party, but have a couple of thoughts

as for the listeroid, yes do tear in all down and clean it thoroughly before you start it. be especially mindful of the underside of the piston, right above the wrist pin (grudgeon pin in england) as there is often sand stuck up under in this area and it will fall down and enter the big end brg oil feed holes.

there was a time when plain upper shells were available for use with a hollow dipper, this modification was a big help in longevity of the big end brg on the con rod and the crank pin.

as for charging, you have the two options, AC generator and the charger vs the 24 volt alternator

the AC generator typically will be about 80% efficient  then factor in perhaps 80% for the chargers efficiency will net you approx 64% overall efficiency,,, maybe a bit better but likely not over 70% on a good day

now the leece neville "if" it is a 24volt oem unit, will likely be no more than 60% and maybe less at high output levels...

having said that "if" you can get your hands on a 12 volt unit it can be made to generate at 24volts for battery charging with an efficiency that will be very close to 80%
it will reliably deliver about 3-3.5kwatts and be thermally stable, to do so it will have to turn at about 4500rpm, however this should not be a problem with a serp belt over the flywheel driving a suitable sized pulley on the alternator... most of the 10/1's turn 1000rpm and have something just under 24inch diameter flywheels iirc, so it should not be hard to accomplish.

i don't like the use of a 24volt alternator for 24volt charging, the reason being they are almost always wye/star connected and the stator resistance is the predominate factor in efficiency loss in these alternators.

i keep beating the drum for the 110-555jho because it is a delta wound machine, using a short stator stack 16 poles instead of the more typical 12poles and uses less wire in the stator,,, which means less resistance and less heating losses.  the 555 alternator has proven to be 80% efficient at producing 28.8vdc @ 100amps continuous at 4600rpm, and do so thermally stable while using only about 35watts excitation.

remember  also any other AC alternator or generator will also have to account for the rectifier losses that are already factored in with the 555's 80% efficiency.

fwiw,

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member