Author Topic: Smoking chicken and fish  (Read 4529 times)

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
Smoking chicken and fish
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:06:42 PM »
Is there someone who has experience with smoking chicken and fish ,Porc-chops.
Sockeye , Trout, Macrel , Ale.
I know it has to be low temp. Thinking to make a smoker.
Can be done on the BBQ grill as well.
 It  is on Youtube , and I got water around my teeth when I saw it.
 - Frans -

spottrouble

Re: Smoking chicken and fish
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »
I grew up in Texas, if its meat, we smoke it ;D. What do you need to know? I'm thinking finding the right woods for smoking might be your hardest problem, but then I've never been to the Netherlands and have no idea what trees grow there. My all time favorite is Mesquite, next would be Post Oak, and lastly Hickory, but I've heard of people using Pecan and Apple Wood too. I use fist sized chunks(some prefer chips), and soak them in water for about 30 minutes before placing over the coals.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58:47 PM »
This is some Salmon I made check out the links
the thead is here- http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=129125.0

heres another one- http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=129363.0

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,128655.msg831067/topicseen.html#msg831067

The advanced search was able to find these old posts, and it worked better than google search  of the forum..

Advanced forum search link  http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?action=search
I added  JW in username and smoker as search term, "also" choose to display as messages, not topic subjects only, you have to tick the box. The results are better that way.

JW
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:14:09 PM by JW »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
Yes, there are temps you need to stay below 300F is the highest I've ever gone and I didn't leave it there for very long.
Fish both fresh and salt water need to stay in the 200F range, the thicker the cuts the longer they need to smoke. Think in terms of hours we smoke pork-ribs What is called St. Louis style cuts over a smoke temp that we kept right at 200F using Apple woods chips that had soaked in clean rain water for no less than 1 hour ( 1 Hour in beer lingo = (2) 1L stout beers at 85F ) the Ribs were smoked for 4 hours. 
There's also some wood you should stay away from : ALL Resinous woods, i.e. Cottonwood , mahogany, Elm, Elders, Teak, etc. Plus none that has/had mold on it :(.
We've done several types of smoker boxes from just putting the woods directly on the charcoal to steel boxes and even just wrapped Aluminum with holes in it to release the smoke.
Hope this helps

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »
Are wanting to hot smoke for eating or cold smoke for preserving?

bob golding

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
we cold smoke salmon and bacon. you want to keep below 15c/20c the biggest problem is having it cols enouth outside to cold smoke. we do it in the winter. west cornwall. think you are a bit colder over there. we use oak left over form making a yurt. there are people selling smoking chips in the uk should be able to buy them over there as well. i use a single electric hotplate with a cast iron frying pan. i use a inverted 7 inch cake tin over the  frying pan with large chicken noodle tin over the top. this fits nicely inside a length of flexible flue liner about 1.5 metres long that goes into a iron dustbin using another chicken noodle tin. there are racks near the top of the dustbin to hang the salmon and bacon from the lid of the dustbin has a hole and ,yes you've guessed it another chicken noodle tin and a bit more pipe. each fill of the frying pan lasts about 2 hours. you have to keep an eye on it as if any air gets in it will burn and raise the temperature to high. i seal the edges between the cake tin and the frying pan with wet sand.

that's the easy part. the secret is in the preparation of the salmon and bacon. it has to be salt cured in the fridge for a few days before you smoke.  i don't do that side of the operation so cant help.

that is for cold smoking for preserving. hot smoking is a lot easier and is just another form of cooking really.
we do enough salmon and bacon to last for a year. we carefully wrap it in greaseproof paper and seal it in a freezer bag and it keeps for a year in the freezer.

may have to dig some out after all that!!!
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

badkins100

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »
Never expected to see a cooking question in here with all the battery acid and fuel smells. ;D

You can make a cold smoker with a cheap pencil type soldering iron, a bean can (clean preferably), and your favorite wood chips. Use any container as the smoke house, an old grill, or turn a cardboard box over it all.

Take an empty bean can and punch about 3 pencil size holes near the top equally spaced.

Poke a hole through the bottom so the soldering iron will fit through it snugly with the tip fully inside the can.

Insert soldering iron, drop in wood chips (dry, not soaked), plug in the soldering iron, and place the can's lid on. Our can opener cuts the seam of the lid, so it will fit back on fairly nicely. 

If you have enough room to keep the can a few inches away from under the meats, that will help prevent heat getting to the meats also.

I have not tried this yet, but have read on the internetwhere others have successfully used it . So I has to be true. ::)  It is on my list of things to do, because I like cooler smoke temps on my meats before adding the heat to cook and finish them.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 03:30:54 PM »

Been looking for this thread to figure out what to marinade my raw salmon in. found it, now if I can find the Thai Chicken recipe