Author Topic: 4 stroke lawn mower converted to steam, fabricating boiler  (Read 19934 times)

GoVertical

Re: 4 stroke lawn mower converted to steam, fabricating boiler
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 07:20:45 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJAN9wnFXto&feature=youtu.be

Hi, first run of boiler with engine. Max run time was 30 seconds then it runs out of steam. Now I can start working on increasing the run time and connect the engine to drive a PMA. I plan to fabricate a better rocket stove and insulate the walls. Thanks for the info. It was fun to see it run even for a short period of time. I did apply pipe dope and tighten everything as much as possible.
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

GoVertical

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZyl8KX3Wo

Hi, I completed modifications to boiler. The new water pump works a really well. I replaced the fire box with a 6 inch diameter and added a fan. Now when the fan is on there is a 2 foot flame. I added a steam drum but it well have to be modified because it is acting as a condenser. I have to run the tank drain to the bottom of the standing tube through a check valve. This should increase the pressure, if not I will to remove the steam drum. I still have to insulate the system. Not sure what to use as insulation and suggestions are welcome.
SEMPER FEROX

GoVertical

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
Hi, I used JB weld epoxy to fabricate the additional lowbs on the cam of the 4 stroke. It did not last long, I was able to scrape it off with my finger nail. It just can't take the heat. I have to refabricate the additional lowbs. It was a good learning experience.
SEMPER FEROX

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
Instead of JB weld, I would have built up the cam lobe with a mig welder, then grind it into shape.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »
Look into some heat treating ideas just an idea. 13
MntMnROY 13

GoVertical

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 02:16:24 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKIt95UrBSM

Hi, I had braze new lobes on the cam. It works well, but the 4 stroke uses to much steam for the size boiler that I have so I was to convert a 2 stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBSvUH6GZY

I am working on automating the water pump and attaching the PMA. I will post results when available.
SEMPER FEROX

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Im assuming the "four stroke engine" is not this http://www.flashsteam.com/steam_proj3.htm this is a flash steam engine not live steam. But does use steam as a heating agent.

The biggest thing you can do is insulate the cooling fins on the engine  your running. Thermal loss needs to be addressed, instead of removing fins and insulating the cylinder, I have heard of using sand to fill the fins voids then an insulating wrap.

The next thing that stands out is the distance of your blow gun admission valves on the other engine, the closer you can get the actual valve closest to the working cylinder the better.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:53:36 PM by JW »

GoVertical

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobK10nC8xY

Hi, I am using a mono tube boiler. I just completed the gear drive for the water pump. Thanks for the info. Isolating the system will be the last modification. This is all just a first time experiment. The engine conversions are just for learning. I would not recommend them for anything but a low cost learning tool. The oil pan fills with water and they are only single action. I am just feeding live steam through the air gun into the piston. Searching for a 1/4 HP double action steam engine plans. I have to get the boiler working first. I have to test the water feed pump under pressure and then I can try to drive a PMA with the steam engine. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:34:07 PM by JW »
SEMPER FEROX

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »
I like the videos  :)

GoVertical

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »
Hi, thanks. I closed all the valves and turned on the water pump, no fire. Max pressure was about 80 psi. The wiper motor was really laboring. I have to find a way to increase the pressure and reduce the load on the motor. Suggestions welcome. All I can think of is to add another set of gears.
SEMPER FEROX

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »
One thing I have seen done is using an old pressure washer pump driven by a 12 volt gear motor, it wont spin fast but can make up to 1000psi.

JW