Author Topic: Kaneka solar panels  (Read 6203 times)

yzman

Kaneka solar panels
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
I bought these used, 18 of them. When I measure the VOC in the sun it is 84v, .4a, does anyone know of a charge controller that can handle 84 volts?

Any help on setting up this system would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking a 48v battery bank, I need an inexpensive controller.

Peak Power Watts – PMAX (Wp): 60
Maximum Power Voltage – VMPP (V): 67
Maximum Power Current – IMPP (A): 0.9
Open Circuit Voltage – VOC (V): 91.8
Short Circuit Current – ISC: 1.19

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Kaneka solar panels
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
Most of the MPPT charge controller can handle up to 150 volts. I am using a Morningstar MPPT-45, running at 80 volts in right at the moment.

southpaw

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
Hi yzman
If you want an inexpensive charge controller I would suggest a Xantrex C40, it will handle 125 VDC max VOC and 40 amps dc continuously on a 12, 24, or 48 volt battery bank, with the same amperage going to the  bank you choose, meaning a 48 v bank will get 2X the power of a 24v bank and 4X the power of a 12v bank. The cost is just over 100$.
The best option for max power into the batteries is an MPPT charge controller but the cost is considerably more. 

dbcollen

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
a c40 will only work if you have a 48v battery bank, if you hook it to a 12 or 24v bank you will get very little power because you will pull the panels so far off the peak of the IV curve. Those kaneka panels are not even ideal for 48v, because when they get hot their max power voltage will be below battery volts. I personally would get a Classic 200 and put the panels 2 in series if I had a 48v bank. That is what I did with my First solar thin films, they had simillar specs to your Kanekas.

ruddycrazy

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »
I've got 14 kaneka panels and had them for 10 years and when my AERL mttp blew up I replaced it with a FM60 only to find 2 panels in series went over the max spec. So I rewired the pv in parallel and since they have been going well with an average of 55 volts input. I'm currently working on a pic32 project to make my own mppt so  can use the fm60 for other panels. So far on the trials it hasn't let out the magic smoke with this new unit I'm making and now I'm waiting on a pro board to mount all the components.

For bang for buck stear away from kaneka panels as mono panels beat them hands down for power.... 

yzman

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
Thanks for all the help, I got the panels dirt cheap and for my first go around at all this I didn't want to spend a ton of money and blow everything up. I had planned on wiring them all in parallel to a charge controller then dumping whatever was left to a water heater for my radiant floor.

southpaw

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
If you are planning to use a dump load you don't want a charge controller you want a diversion controller.
You will hook your panels in parallel directly to the batteries and use the controller to dump excess power to the heater element to control the batteries state of charge. Please read the xantrex C40 owners manual it explains the setup quite well.
http://www.windynation.com/sites/default/files/XantrexCSeriesManual.pdf

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »
...except that the poor match of Vmp to Vbat will result in him throwing away enormous amounts of power even when he needs it...

So possibly he will ultimately need a combination.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

southpaw

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »
...except that the poor match of Vmp to Vbat will result in him throwing away enormous amounts of power even when he needs it...

So possibly he will ultimately need a combination.

Rgds

Damon
So are you saying a VMP of 67 is a poor match for a 48v battery bank?  He asked for an Inexpensive charge controller to hook up his dirt cheap panels. I'm just making a suggestion if you have a better idea why not share it with him?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
No need to give me a right hook, I'm merely thinking out loud.

It will be up to him to decide what works for him, and what you suggest might indeed be the right thing to start with.  The clue about my thinking was in the word "ultimately".

IMHO the problem is that a battery at low state of charge and thus low voltage, eg in winter, is an especially poor match if connected without MPPT, and so it may be worth spending more money later to get more value out of what he already has in his hands when he most needs it.

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:54:52 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

JimmyCastro

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:20 AM »
I bought these used, 18 of them. When I measure the VOC in the sun it is 84v, .4a, does anyone know of a charge controller that can handle 84 volts?

Any help on setting up this system would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking a 48v battery bank, I need an inexpensive controller.

Peak Power Watts – PMAX (Wp): 60
Maximum Power Voltage – VMPP (V): 67
Maximum Power Current – IMPP (A): 0.9
Open Circuit Voltage – VOC (V): 91.8
Short Circuit Current – ISC: 1.19

Hello friend are these panels worth? I am looking to get them but not sure it is worth to invest in these panels or not? Please help.

admin

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
I installed quite a few of these for clients back when they were the cheapest PV per watt on the market. Now they are no longer available. They worked fine.
If you go with 48v battery bank, you have options for a more inexpensive MPPT controller that will do 100Voc+
The new smaller Midnite will work, but its not shipping yet. Look into the controllers by BZ products, and Rogue Engineering.

JimmyCastro

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »

Hello friend are these panels worth? I am looking to get them but not sure it is worth to invest in these panels or not? Please help.
Please do not re-post your requests.
Thanks
Bruce S
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:54:53 AM by Bruce S »