Author Topic: Wincharger schematic  (Read 4852 times)

adobejoe

Wincharger schematic
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
Looking for help here. I am rebuilding an older wincharger, 32 VDC, 18 Amp unit and not finding the voltage we want on a bench test. Below is link to schematic I found that drawing seems to match. The generator is Delco-Remy, two pole, three brush arrangement. Can anyone confirm?

AdobeJoe

http: //www.hydra-glide.com/pix/3 brush 329. jpg

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Wincharger schematic
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:23 AM »
They couldn't possibly have used spaces in that file name.  Could you check the link again, please?
I can't access the /pix/ folder on that website so I can't even look up the file with my web browser.

oh ok I tried a few changes and now it works; now that I've re-typed the spaces as under-score characters, and taken out the impossible spaces.  When copying a URL link from your web browser the best way to avoid re-typing mistakes is to use the clip-board.  Select all the text in the address bar (it all usually highlights the moment you click on it), press Control-C to copy to the clip-board, then switch to this site, and use Control-P to "paste" it into your message.

http://www.hydra-glide.com/pix/3_brush_329.jpg

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 02:42:47 AM »
Thanks to Sparweb for fixing the link.
The 32v Wincharger never really made it to the UK so I have no direct experience of it. It seems highly likely that drawing could be correct as it is not a conventional automotive dynamo connection with one shunt coil and a regulated coil to the 3rd brush.

Being a geared unit it may be a standard delco armature with special field coils.

To get corecct volts at cut in you will need to connect the light terminal to positive to bring in the shunt field coil. It may also have used the warning light to assist the residual to excite at lower speed so you could try connecting the light terminal to a car battery( feed light terminal and earth), in which case it should excite at any speed and you can see at what speed it reaches the 32v.

If you get some response that way but still the output is low you can lift the brushes and measure the two field coil resistances, one may be open circuit.

With the shunt coil excited from a battery, any short circuits on the armature will show as a heavy load preventing you turning it. Open circuit coils will almost certainly spark at the brushes even with no load on the armature.

Over the years it may have lost its residual and energising the shunt coil from a battery may be all that is needed to bring it to life.

Flux

Flux

adobejoe

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
Sorry about the link problem. Flux, thanks for the description...several things we can check...will keep posted.

AdobeJoe