Remote Living > Housing

Energy independent home

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mary B:
Maple is pretty fast growing.

Mary B:
Have you considered a compressed log making machine from grass/hay? Easy to grow and harvest.

davidwillis:
I will have to look into maple and also the compressed log Machine.  I do like the compressed log idea a lot, but have not looked into it.  Thanks for the ideas!

Frank S:
Not sure how much property you have but if you are thinking of firewood as your principal heat source and happen to live in a cold climate then you will require quite a lot of land area for forestry.
 As far as a relatively fast growing tree which also produces a high BTU per cord when burned have a look at Ash.
 Bear in mind you need to calculate your total BTU loss factor your temperature differential outside vs inside,
 The rate of expected growth total "YEARS" before first harvest  number of acres to  plant each year until first harvest (probably a minimum of 5 years)
 Here is a forum that addresses some of those questions.

http://www.permies.com/t/4892/woodland/Ash-wood-grow-firewood

davidwillis:
Thanks Frank.  That is a great link, I am reading it now.  I live on a 2 acre lot, but only about 1/2 or 3/4 of that could be used for growing trees, and this year I have about 3 cords of wood stored up (I hope it will last all winter), but I don't know what quality it is.  I know it is some poplar, willows, cotton wood, etc.  So it will be tricky to get enough wood from my land...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version