Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

New project

<< < (2/7) > >>

Mary B:
This is a case where grid tie really would make sense. Automatic switching on/off grid, can still have backup batteries with the right inverter...

hydrosun:
A grid intertie would give maximum flexibility with storing surplus power when not needed and using it when needed. But many hydro systems don't qualify for net metering. So you only get wholsale price for the production of powerand purchace power at retail rates. And it opens up  all kinds of permitting and water rights questions. A grid backup setup is simpler if most of the loads can be run directly off the hydro. And the generator doesn't have to sync with the grid.
Chris

Blueskies:
Big changes at work meant the project was on hold for the best part of the last year but back at it now. Hoping to finish by next winter.

Chris, your comment is exactly where I'm at. Too many negative points selling back and not worth it financially with what they would pay so I'm just planning on powering the house and using the grid to back up very occasionally when output is down. I haven't got as far as planning how the wires will connect to the house. Gen output matches our supply from the grid (400V 3 phase) so should not be too difficult to work something out. I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with DC gens fed to a small battery bank and an inverter but the Gens are here so thats that.

Pics to follow.

Blueskies:
How will I build the internal boxing???

Blueskies:
My father in law comes to help with the concrete pour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version