Remote Living > Water

My DIY well drilling rig. 60' deep and counting!

<< < (3/3)

wpowokal:
In the beginning I faced the cutting edge of my drag bits with tungsten, ex a machine shop where they are used on lathes as the cutting tool. I brazed them on. 

Allan

Hanre:
Does anyone know the specification on this type of air motor for the drill, I am in Africa and the shipping is $250 dollars so not a viable option

madlabs:
I don't know the actual specs. You could write the guy here:

http://www.howtodrillawell.com/

He may know. But just get the best you can and use the biggest compressor you can get. And know that if you have a lot of rock it isn't going to work.

deanpegal:
You are very hard working, Keep up the good work! ;D

hiker:
Had problem with rocks and drilling....when working on the alaska pipeline...we were installing anodes..along the line to help with corrosion control...we only had to go down about 14 feet ...not even close to what your doing...any way the rocks were binding up the drill bit...so we needed a way to clean them out..the brains of the outfit..decided compressed air would work...so each time the bit clogged up...we would pull the drill casing out and the bit...then the fun begain...to get the compressed air down the bottom of the hole..we used a long plastic pipe ..with a air hose and on..off..valve at he end of it..top had a plastic elbow..few feet long..wasn't heavy..being plastic...so down the hole it went..some what awkward to handle..well once down ..being the first time using it..you hit the valve wide open..we all stood around watched the guy..hanging on to the pipe..lots of noise rocks starting  to shoot out..then..Their goes the pipe ..guy and all about 8-10 feet into the air..! Rocks raining down on all of us...What a site ! We all had a good laugh...someone had sence enough to hit the kill switch on the air compressor...No rocks in the hole..! From then on two guys were used to hold the pipe down....first try with two guys ..the Forman and another tried it..hit the valve..pipe stayed in place..forman looks down pipe...Gets blasted with a face full of rocks..falls over...their goes the pipe again ..guy and all into the air...once again..no rocks left in the hole..!!    Just your Average day at work on the north slope.!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version