Author Topic: Introduction with many questions in the making  (Read 2892 times)

Charlie

Introduction with many questions in the making
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
Hi everyone.

First of all a big thank you for the effort many have put into this forum.

Also great to see that this place is very civilized.

Coming from the automotive field (I endured it for 32 years in development, consultancy and testing) it is a welcome change from the bitchy attitude that seems to rule all directions of the automotive field.

Were I need a lot of help is the understanding of building the generators for VAWTs.

Many question might come, but obviously I have to start with one:

What is more desirable for maximum power output with a given material: To make the magnet as long as the coil (or even slightly longer), to cover as much coil cross section as possible, a combination of both, or do I get it completely wrong?

The question is on the assumption that the distance to the coils is the same as are the coils and all other variables like the flux etc.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Introduction with many questions in the making
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.
You are correct, the people here tend to treat each other like adults.
WE hale from all parts of the world.  :) There used to be a map showing where a lot of people were located but it got pretty full.
I see the flag you've chosen is Philippines, where in the islands are you located?

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.

I see the flag you've chosen is Philippines, where in the islands are you located?

Thank you.

My base is near Dumaguete, Negros Oriental.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
Ahh, the Central Isles. Nice!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
generally speaking the larger the magnets the more powerful your alternator will be .
the ends of the coils are less effective at producing a current than the legs but still produce something.

niall2

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
 ;)...or the age old question ...matching the prop to the load .....

the prop has to match all the trigonometry...ish ....

instead of thinking about magnet size/coil  maybe the prop either hawt or vawt determines the alts fate....

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:40:20 PM by niall2 »

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 01:21:40 AM »
generally speaking the larger the magnets the more powerful your alternator will be .
the ends of the coils are less effective at producing a current than the legs but still produce something.

Am I right to conclude that it would be the better option to us oval coils rather than circular ones?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »
Ultimately it will be the turbine that determines what you get out, you need to establish the power out and speed of the turbine before you can settle much with the alternator. Speed ( or the lack of it) is a killer with a VAWT. Low speed alternators are large and costly compared with faster ones.

Having settled that, the output depends mostly on quantity of magnet, quantity of copper and speed.

Best you can do is manipuate the comparative costs of magnet and copper by playing with the design. The approach with neo may not be the same as for ferrite magnets.

Typically coils should be shaped to the magnets, round coils for round magnets, rectangular or oval coils for rectangular magnets.

The hole in the coil needs to be near or a bit less than the magnet size and the coils can touch on the outside. A good compromise is with magnets spaced about one magnet width at the inner radius for neo. For ferrite the more magnet you squeeze in the more you will get out but it doesn't use magnet efficiently ( with cheap ferrite magnets this doesn't matter but with the cost of neo you need to use them well).

There is no perfect geometry, everything is a compromise but you would do well to stick to what others have done over the years, it may not be perfect but it will work. There is so much information on the Otherpower site and Hugh Piggott's site that it really is foolish to start re-inventing the wheel.

Basic text book ideas will most likely lead you astray with axial alternators.

Flux

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »
Rectangular coils are usually more oval in shape than rectangular...