Author Topic: Zubbly style motor conversions  (Read 6080 times)

andyman5002

Zubbly style motor conversions
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

Its been years since I've been on, very much out of touch with all the developments. Thought i'd drop by and say hi to everyone. I still have an interest in RE and still have a functioning RE system, thanks to the advice from members of this forum.

I was just wondering if people are still doing the motor conversion type turbines that zubbly pioneered? I still have my conversion from 2006 sitting in my shed, never did quite get round to carving blades etc and life has changed a lot, very little spare time with work etc

Anyway, good to be back!

Andy

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Zubbly style motor conversions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:01 AM »
Yup some of us keep the memory alive.
Check out the Diaries section - I wrote about my motor conversion's status last fall.

The motor conversions don't get the attention they deserve, but I'm biased.  :)

The popularity of all wind turbine projects, axial or conversion or otherwise, tends to depend on the price of Neo magnets.  The cost has gone up in the last 5 years, and meanwhile the price of PV silicon has gone down down down.  Pretty soon, building homemade wind turbines will just be a hobby for crazy people like me...

If you want to look up some of Zubbly's old writings and photos, I have a bunch stashed away, and can help you find it on the 'net either here or elsewhere.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
Can other people see posts on this link, or is it just me with Admin privs?

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=253

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »
Yes it works here.

Flux

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
You don't have to be crazy to work on/build wind turbines, but it sure helps.  I still think, comparatively, it is rather dull watching your solar panels produce power.

Welcome back Andy.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know what DanB is up to lately?  I miss the days when he and others like him were posting on there trials and triumphs with various wind projects.

~ks

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:42 PM »
i follow danb on facebook...i belive hes driving a cab..and having a blast..........not sure how long he plans on doing that..yeah miss those days on the old site as well..........great to see you back andy..!
and that link works here as well...............
WILD in ALASKA

ontfarmer

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »

A bit off topic, but does anyone know what DanB is up to lately?  I miss the days when he and others like him were posting on there trials and triumphs with various wind projects

Followed for years picked up a lot built my own not like it was then with one helping
each other.
           Grant

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:05 AM »
I do miss those 'early days'.  I was mostly a fly on the wall, but learned a great deal.  I do wish the Dans, Hugh, and the like would drop by more frequently.

I still find folks willing to help here.  A terrific range of talents really.  Yes, there's the occasional Grumpy Gus, but that's anywhere.  I think the larger influence is the one SparW pointed to earlier, which is that there just are not as many folks attempting wind.  If you're a wind enthusiast you're still here, but if you are just looking to eek out a few Ahs or kWhs solar is much less challenging for most.  And, the cost is making the spread more pronounced.

~kitestrings

andyman5002

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
Shame to hear that wind projects are dying off. I really enjoyed learning from Zubbly and everyone else about the technology. My first turbine literally crashed, no burning though. I hadn't realised Neos had gone up so much, solar has definitely plummeted. I remember ordering solar cells encapsulated in wax from the US to try and get cheap ££ Watts.

I think I was 17 or so when I joined and was full of enthusiasm and ideas, but work and reality has curbed that a bit now haha. Its good to see the original works from him are still being looked at though. Is TomW still around on the board? Im sure it was TomW, I remember getting advice from him!

Anyway thanks for the welcome back everyone! Hopefully be buying my own place soon, so will have the room and permission to be crazy again haha.

Andy

kitestrings

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
I know Tom is a regular contributor on the Midnite Solar forum.  I assume form his posts there that he still has wind.  I don't know what else he's up to.  He's still (being/been) helpful to me anyway.

~ks

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Wind has been bitten by zoning laws pushed by the League of American Cities. Often times making it next to impossible to instal experimental wind unless you have deep pockets.

kitestrings

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »
Mmm, good point.  Hasn't affect us directly here - there's still no zoning in my town - but big wind has caused several area towns to impose height restrictions, and regional planning commission's to push for moratoriums on the larger stuff.

coldspot

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 03:38:29 AM »
Welcome Back- Andy
"Z" In Honor of-

" I still have my conversion from 2006 sitting in my shed, never did quite get round to carving blades etc and life has changed a lot, "

Yea, my two 2HP conversions and the 28 lbs stepper all sit in storage
did get some S panels out last year, still sitting in the basement.
But,
I'm learning to keep my dreams closer in size to my reality, yes that has been very hard to handle.
And-
My newest Air pellet gun did get all the way thru a large phone book,
(over 500 pages) from 50 yards out!
still building stuff and taking names
well building stuff anyway. LOL
L8R
$0.02

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »

wow ..pelllet gun !!!!!

heres my oversize pellet gun---  44 dragoon..shoots round lead
balls--blackpowder...not sure if it could make it throu a phone book !
but it sure would try with a blast of smoke and a sound like a cannon !!

i to still a have a few wind gens to complete in the shop......but
summer is here.............i think !  snowed back on the mountains again
 for the third time--once back in may--twice this month !   never in my
life time has this happend. - maybe once in june afew years  back....

WILD in ALASKA