Logged in users > User Diaries

Pocket Rocket Stove Project

<< < (2/3) > >>

tanner0441:
Hi

My first job on leaving school was in the offices of a brass foundry, we used to call it zinc Monday because it always seemed to affect you on a morning after a few days away from the furnaces.

I am 71 now and if there is a sudden change in the weather from dry to damp I still get a blocked nose and sneezing and I was only in the job for just over 12 months.

Brian

GoVertical:
Hi, I have received info of welders not knowing better have welded zinc plated parts and die a short time later.. It is nothing to play around with.

I think I found a suitable replacement at Lowes. It is a black  fire place ash bucket, about the same size and appears not to be galvanized.

Frank S:
Some folks are more susceptible to toxic fumes than others I guess.
 30 or so years ago I worked at a company that made tanks out of a material called galvaneal it is sort of a galvanized metal with a lower zinc content, sometimes we would get in an old galvanized tank that needed reworked we would hae to crawl inside and weld in the repairs. the fumes would knock some of the guys out pretty quick. For me and a few others we would just down a qt of sour buttermilk then cough and puke for a while . the next day we were ready to get back at it.
  As for using a galvanized trash can to make a stove out of, once it has been hot   to turn blue or red all of the thin coating of zinc should have been burnt off
 For me I don't worry about it much since I regularly cut up galvanized steel with a torch   

GoVertical:
Hi, thanks for the info. I should've said "I plan to avoid it".

Todays burn test results are poor. I tried burning some long 1/2 by 3" plywood pieces from a shipping create. The bottom of the feed tube filled with embers and the fire reversed direction. I did add the extra 1" holes at the bottom of the feed tube. I think there is still not enough space between the bottom of the  feed tube and the bottom of the burn chamber. The feed tube keeps slipping down. I will have to make some more modifications.  I  would like it to gravity feed and have a long burn time. We will see how it goes.

Started searching for a off the shelf small heat exchanger.

GoVertical:
Hi, a few sheet metal screw did the trick. I screwed them into the side of the feed tube and the slipping problem is solved.  About a 3 " space is maintained between the bottom of the bucket and the bottom of the feed tube. This allows enough time for the embers to turn to ash and the choke condition is avoided. It will now gravity feed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version